cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Upload Speed

garrycav
On our wavelength

Hi,

For the past week my download and upload speeds have fluctuated hugely.  My upload during the day is very slow, anywhere between 0.2Mbps and 1.2Mbps.  I'm trying to work from home and the upload is dropping conference calls etc and making it very difficult to work.  This is both on wired and wireless connections, I've complete a hard reset of the router etc.  I used the help messaging and the only response I got (after 24 hours) was to hard reset the router which I'd already done.  No further replies.

I've called VM 4 times, disconnected after 30+ minutes 3 times and finally got through to someone.  They told me I had received a speed upgrade and to complete another hard reset of my router.  I did say that I was dubious that this would resolve the issue but completed nonetheless.  Still the same issues during the day.  It's fine first thing this morning but I know that come 9am it will slow to a crawl again.

Is this a backend capacity issue within VM or a localised issue?  I'm in the Cambridge area.

Thanks

114 REPLIES 114

Potentially, but I believe the problem lies with the local VM infrastructure outside of my property.

My neighbours experience the same slow down, at exactly the same time frame. VM are throttling upload uniformly every day, during normal business hours. There's nothing at my property that will change this. My area reference is 22, we are in a relatively low population density area. There will definitely be some traffic shaping / throttling being applied locally, despite your assurances to the contrary outlined here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-broadband-traffic-management-policy

and here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

With specific reference to the "Expected Speed Range**" whereby you promise 20-21Mbps between 8pm and 10pm. What good is that, when for more than 40% of the 24 hours in a day, it's being throttled and pinned back to 1-2Mbps? 

I believe my upstream channels are within expected parameters:

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

13260000042.3512064 qam3
24620000042.3512064 qam1
32580000041.8512064 qam4
43940000042.5512064 qam2

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0020
2ATDMA0060
3ATDMA0030
4ATDMA0020

My VM router runs in modem mode. Even when bypassing my internal switches and router, and connecting an ethernet cable directly between a laptop and the VM modem, the upload speeds remain pitiful during working hours.

Here is my BQM:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5fbb59df0dd315c4cf5642a781b35ac966...

Thanks for that reply adamlstr

As you have seen we have no traffic management 

Your hub is in perfect condition looking from here 

I would suggest an visit so the engineer can check externally as well 

If nothing is found, it can then be passed on to a network engineer to monitor things

Gareth_L

Thank you Gareth, how can this be arranged please? Every time I call the call centre, I'm rebuffed with the phrase 'no fault found'. 

Hi adamlstr

I can arrange that for you

I will need to send you a private message to pass security though 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Royman
Settling in

I have been having similar problems - just north of Cambridge. Download speed just 2.5MB/s and upload speed 0.3Mb/s last Monday. It appears to be a network data bottleneck / capacity issue as the speed is very time/day dependant. The speeds are typically better across the weekend and then appallingly slow on Monday morning again. I opted for an upgrade from 100Mb/s to 200Mb/s but it has made no difference to the speeds which are sometimes an order  of magnitude slower than they should be. It is very difficult to work from home in this situation. Just a few miles outside of Cambridge which is often promoted as a major technology centre showcase/hub for the UK and high speed broadband is not available - embarrassing!

I am wondering if this issue has been "fixed" for any customers or if it will continue until the network has been upgraded?

adamlstr
Joining in

I had a technician attend this morning, who after listening to my issues went back to the networking team who confirmed VM are traffic shaping and limiting upload speed on my cabinet and in our local exchange.

It's a "known issue".

What a lovely waste of everyone's time. 

I don't think they'll ever be open & honest enough to admit their major issue with over utilisation/subscription. They'll just continue contracting new customers for the money it seems.
My Broadband Ping - Virgin M350

Same problem here in IG7.  Neighbours are the same!

Pay for 200+ down 20 up and get 66-100 down 1- 3 up 

Video conferences are not really possible!

Looking at ZEN who have good reviews.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @nekillim

Welcome back to our Community - sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband at the moment. I have located your account from your forum information and can see that you are currently impacted by a known area issue. 

This issue is called SNR - Signal to Noise Ratio - this can cause intermittent issues with your broadband connection and speeds. Currently at the time of writing the estimated fix time is listed to be 16th March 2021

The reference number is F008857479  - you can pop back to this (or your other thread) at any time for an update. The area issue has also been logged on your account. 

I do hope that things are working better for you soon and that  you choose to remain with us

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Still slow uploads?

nekillim_0-1615976813695.png