cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Upload Speed

garrycav
On our wavelength

Hi,

For the past week my download and upload speeds have fluctuated hugely.  My upload during the day is very slow, anywhere between 0.2Mbps and 1.2Mbps.  I'm trying to work from home and the upload is dropping conference calls etc and making it very difficult to work.  This is both on wired and wireless connections, I've complete a hard reset of the router etc.  I used the help messaging and the only response I got (after 24 hours) was to hard reset the router which I'd already done.  No further replies.

I've called VM 4 times, disconnected after 30+ minutes 3 times and finally got through to someone.  They told me I had received a speed upgrade and to complete another hard reset of my router.  I did say that I was dubious that this would resolve the issue but completed nonetheless.  Still the same issues during the day.  It's fine first thing this morning but I know that come 9am it will slow to a crawl again.

Is this a backend capacity issue within VM or a localised issue?  I'm in the Cambridge area.

Thanks

114 REPLIES 114

@garrycav wrote:

Thanks Mike.

The slow down has now started, 1Mbps upload now at best.

How do I check the hub can respond?

You need to look for something along the lines of "Respond to ICMP echo requests send to WAN IP".

@garrycav BQM

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4d40062cbb3befc1768eebe2b08aefdba8...

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Steven83L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

The live chats seems to be currently unavailable. If you head to the virgin media website and login to your account or if you have the app installed you should be able to get help there. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks Mike, I found the setting and enabled it. Hopefully the BQM will start working now.

As expected, speeds have dropped off now and I keep getting kicked off conference calls 😞

You can try phoning it in or wait here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread, someone should be along within a couple of days.

Don't bump your thread; it doesn't get answered any quicker.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your upstream power levels are too high, should be between -6 and +10.  Also you have 2 upstream on 16QAM, along with the PostRS errors, this would suggest noise on the circuit.  Your BQM looks like the circuit is also under heavy load as would be expected with most of the population being at home. All you can do is check all the connections are tight and wait for a response from VM here regarding an engineer visit to check the noise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

garrycav
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply.

I'm on the phone waiting now, I'm not that hopeful of getting through...I'll keep trying.

garrycav
On our wavelength

I did get through to VM. They said they couldn't see any major issues with the router at their end. As a first step they are shipping me a new router.

I'm not convinced this will resolve my issue. Work has been impossible again today.

garrycav
On our wavelength

So, recevied my hub3 today.  As expected, it hasn't resolved the issue.  My upload speed is terrible currently 0.8 Mbps but it can go as low as 0..2.

It's impossible to work at home with this speed up.  5 calls to VM, I only actually got through twice.  First time I was told I'd got a free upgrade to 100Mbps, I said I didn't think it would improve the upload...it didn't.  Second call was told I needed a hub3 (I had a hub2), I said I didn't think that would work...it didn't.

5 days now and no resolution, no will to call them again.  Does anyone from VM read this and if so can someone help?

garrycav
On our wavelength

New BQM as my IP address changed:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3685e4abbe3813f830e028ecdc758500385dac95

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@garrycav It certainly looks like your downstream power levels were high and outside the recommended range.  It would be good to see what your downstream and upstream levels are now you have the new Hub.  I'm not expecting an improvement but worth checking before I try to attract the attention of the forum staff.

Also please don't post your WAN IP address as it is against the forum rules to protect your privacy. I rejected the screenshots you uploaded earlier that contained it and I have flagged your previous post for the mods to edit it out of your network log.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks