cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varying PS5 speeds

imchrisjones
Joining in

Now I understand speeds and vary at peak teams ect, but paying for the m200 package which averages 213 speed (im not expecting that at all times by the way, i'm a realist!) but i just find from one night to another these varying speeds are fairly unacceptable? if they dropped to 80-100 maybe i can understand but 13.9 isn't fit for purpose. 

ps52.jpgps51.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi imchrisjones, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your broadband speed. 

In order for us to assist you further, can you please confirm the following for me?

What speeds are you achieving when running tests via both wired and wireless connections?

Which Hub do you have with us?

Thank you 

Nat

Hey, thanks for the reply.

via cable I couldn’t tell you but downstairs next to the router I’m easily getting 250+ wireless which is perfect. Last night my firestick in my bedroom was picking up between 8-14 download speed, but I think the issue is because the connection on the router (the 3.0 router) constantly changes between 2.4ghz and 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds, so all speed tests need to be done wired directly to the Hub.

However, you can try splitting the SSID and manually connecting your PS5 to 5Ghz.  Best option is to use Ethernet btw,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey. Does splitting the SSID not affect the connection speeds in anyway, for example if I split them and leave everything else on 2ghz surely that will make it slower for those devices?

think I had to do the same on sky broadband 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No speed reduction, splitting the SSID allows you to choose which band to connect to, rather than the Hub choosing.

2.4Ghz is slower, but has greater range and wall penetration,  5Ghz has faster speeds, but poor penetration.  It's up to you to pick the best band to suit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yeah I can do that. Regarding the firestick then for example, why does the connection switch between 2 and 5hgz randomly?

Because the WiFi environment in your house changes randomly. If there is little difference between the two WiFi bands at the Firestick's location it will use whichever seems best at the time.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@imchrisjones wrote:

Yeah I can do that. Regarding the firestick then for example, why does the connection switch between 2 and 5hgz randomly?

You have to understand the "standard" setup on a Hub is a single SSID and to allow the Hub to switch devices from band to band as it sees fit.  So, hence the swapping as you have noticed.

So, to stop this, split the SSID and disable "Smart Optimisation" on the Hub.  This will allow you to fix the band and channel for each wifi device and the Hub will no longer move things around.   As for the Firestick, you can use an Ethernet adapter and cable this up for best performance and no wifi problems.  This is how I have my Firestick connected btw.