Menu
wonderwill
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Variable Speed in room remote from Superhub 3

I have a Superhub 3 with Virgin power boosters, which are not on the same power circuit because I have 2 ring mains. Therefore the booster help is likely to be minimal.

I am signed up for 100mbs which I get in the room where the Hub is and in a couple of rooms directly above I get 50 - 70 mbs. The room that is second most important and above the router but at a diagonal , can get a speed of 30 ish mbs which I could just about live with, but it is variable. Sometimes I will go into the room and it is only 10 mbs and others 30/33 mbs. It appears totally inconsistent. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Variable Speed in room remote from Superhub 3

The further you get from the hub the weaker the WiFi signal and therefore the more prone it becomes to interference from other radio sources such as neighbour's WiFi, household appliances using radio frequencies etc.  Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes I will go into the room and it is only 10 mbs and others 30/33 mbs. It appears totally inconsistent. Any ideas?

As Dave_cq says, wifi is regrettably like this. If possible connect the devices to the 5 GHz wifi signal, as this is less prone to interference.  Regarding the Virgin Media boosters, as a personal opinion, wifi boosters and range extenders are generally not up to much, and I'd expect anything provided by VM to be specified for low cost rather than performance.  Virgin Media are only handing these out because the Hub 3 wifi is now about three years behind the standard of the best hubs currently offered by Openreach providers, such as the BT Complete Wifi offer. 

Question 1: Does it matter that measured speeds are low?  Even at 10 Mbps you should be able to stream two HD videos at the same time.  Note as well that your cable connection is shared, so the 100 Mbps is shared by all devices, and the more used by one device, the less available for all others when used at the same time.

Question 2:  The VM Hub 3 is a very basic wifi router, so there's not much you can do after you've read and followed the sticky posts at the head of this section of the forum, so if speed in this room is still a problem and does matter, then how much are you willing to spend to fix the issue?

The good (if costly) news is that there's plenty of options for permanently solving this: For £200 you could buy a 3 base mesh wifi system that would replace the Hub 3 router (you'd keep it, but only in "modem mode") and that would give much better wifi throughout the house.  A much cheaper, but more complicated option would be to buy a cheap router (£25-40) to place in or near the room in question, and connect that by running a Cat7 Ethernet cable (c£15) between the Hub 3 and the router, which you'd have to configure as a wireless access point - plenty of advice in the forums on that.  If you've got an old router kicking around, even a VM Superhub, or an old Openreach ISP router, they can be repurposed to be a wireless access point - again advice in the forums, and something I did in about half an hour on a rainy day.  That last one reduces the cost further, but in both wireless access point cases you may have challenges routing ethernet cable invisibly round the house.

jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's all excellent advice from Andruser.

The only thing I would add before spending money is just to check that the Hub is sitting in a clear, open space away from any obstructions particularly metal ones.  It may be tidy to hide the Hub behind a TV or a pile of CDs but it will severely restrict its range.  

0 Kudos
wonderwill
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@wonderwill wrote:

I have a Superhub 3 with Virgin power boosters, which are not on the same power circuit because I have 2 ring mains. Therefore the booster help is likely to be minimal.

Just double checking, you say you have 2 ring mains circuits - this might be a nomenclature misunderstanding by me, but does that mean the power circuits you have go through 2 separate consumer units (or fuse boxes)?  I ask because I always say that I have 2 mains and 2 lighting circuits - 1 each upstairs and downstairs - all 4 go through the same CU and my powerlines work perfectly well plugged in near the Hub and the upstairs bedroom.  I also have a separate circuit for garage and kitchen that does use a second CU - and they dont work in there.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
wonderwill
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

I understand what you are saying but I just find it difficult to accept that you carry out 3 or 4 speed tests over a 5 minute period and obtain 30 - 33 mbs  and then from exactly the same position 2 or 3 minutes late, I struggle to get 5 mbs for 3 tests,

0 Kudos