cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Broadband Speeds

JShing
Tuning in

Hi guys. I have been a Virgin customer for 2 weeks. I have the Volt package with 1Gb service. Virgin have been great and have laid a new cable to the house as original was giving variable signals. My problem is even after the new cable I am getting extremely variable speeds. The best I get is circa 450Mbs sitting right next to the virgin hub 4 with my iPad. It often drops to around 40Mbs randomly. In my home office I have a wired Ethernet connection and today I was getting about 100Mbs download and 40Mbs upload. Even with these numbers I could not use MS Teams as I kept freezing or sound breaking up. I had to resort to turning my Camera off so people could hear me. My son who also has an Ethernet connection says that his games regularly freeze and he too says the speeds are up and down. There are no obvious patterns to the speed drops they can be quite random. Has anyone got any thoughts as to what it could be? I am wondering if I need to buy my own router and use the hub 4 in modem mode only. Thx

10 REPLIES 10

carl_pearce
Community elder

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Hi.

234Mbs to the hub and 68Mbs to my iPad.

Hi @Carl_Pearce,

just took 2 more readings:6EF84587-0A2D-434C-B88E-FC3DEDB393F3.png575EB0BA-2190-479E-B28A-8D395283D286.png

took 2 mins apart, and very different to my original.

@JShing wrote:

Hi @Carl_Pearce,

just took 2 more readings:6EF84587-0A2D-434C-B88E-FC3DEDB393F3.png575EB0BA-2190-479E-B28A-8D395283D286.png

took 2 mins apart, and very different to my original.

There certainly appears to be an issue with your line.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post up this data

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up Login and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @ j Brennan’s. Hopefully I have got these right. Thx.

2D0E82D8-845F-42F1-BFE4-727296480E9C.jpeg88BED621-7B18-42A7-B26F-A6C3B03C3164.jpeg9ADE0E11-6413-44DF-9493-D919E0636546.jpegC54CABDE-5189-4AAE-A4B3-8BC333DEF682.jpeg473E68F4-71EB-4AA9-A087-A93EDB491CC0.jpegD74144BE-98C1-4A8A-B707-E32DD2800C61.jpeg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Hard to tell as you posted screenshots and not formatted text.

I cant see any downstream 3.1 channel data - if there is no 3.1 channel then there lays your issue

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @jbrennand, sorry as you can tell I do not really know what I am doing. Will take another look.

Hi JShing,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with your broadband. 

I am more than happy to take a look into this for you. I will private message you now so I can look into this. 

^Martin