Menu
Videoradar
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VPN slowdown

Hi,

I am on Virgin Media (Vivid 350) When I connect to any VPN recently the connection speed drops from about 375 Mbps to approximately 50 Mbps. Approx 85% drop.It used to run a VPN at around 180 Mbps. I have checked everything at my end and tried using the Superhub 3  as a router and a modem to no avail. The speed drop occurs on Windows, Android and Unix devices. All my connections are hard wired It would seem that there is a fault or a throttle on the modem or system somewhere.

Although 50 Mbps is usable where has the other 130 Mbps gone?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN slowdown

If you are using your own router then this is unlikely to be due to VM. 

I have found the support provided by a couple of large VPN providers to be very helpful. You could try calling them.

0 Kudos
Videoradar
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpeg1,

Please explain "If you are using your own router then this is unlikely to be due to VM"

The issue is there when using the Superhub 3 as a router. I used a separate router to eliminate the router part of the Hub 3. I have submitted tickets to two VPN providers. I have tried all the different protocols PPTP etc. as advised. No adjustments allow speeds in excess of 50Mbs.
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Of course you will experience slowdowns it’s a encrypted connection tunnelling through the VPN provider. Now personally I’m with expressvpn and I’ve found that using different protocols openvpn (fast and most secure) LT2P, PPTP (fastest BUT insecure) will every. The best encryption and fastest speed for me is openpvn east London at around 80Mb, using L2TP East London is around 170Mb with a 350Mb line. Your best bet is to try different protocols and different server locations.
0 Kudos
Videoradar
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I Expect a slow down but not 85%.on open VPN.

As virgin states that they do not slow down any protocol, there must be a fault in the Superhub3 or its software.

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried different location servers to find out which is best? Who are you with may I ask. Because openvpn is the highest encryption unfortunately it is the slowest.
0 Kudos
Moogera
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That is a big reduction in speed through the VPN,Open VPN UDP only gives me 50mb download speed on vivid 200,yet Open VPN TCP gives me 170mb 

It really does matter where you connect to,the closer to the servers location you are,the faster speed should be achievable

0 Kudos
Videoradar
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have been with PIA for a few years and had a reasonable 160 Mbps on my Vivid 350 connection until a couple of months ago. 

I have tried NordVPN, Tunnelbear and Surfshark on numerous servers. With the UDP and TCP connection I still get a maximum of  50 Mbps. The Speedtest.net needle quickly gets to 50 Mbps and stays there. Fast.com only reaches 20Mbps.

I have spoken to Virgin support and reset the Superhub3 several times all to no avail.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Videoradar wrote:
Hi jpeg1,

Please explain "If you are using your own router then this is unlikely to be due to VM"

The issue is there when using the Superhub 3 as a router. I used a separate router to eliminate the router part of the Hub 3. I have submitted tickets to two VPN providers. I have tried all the different protocols PPTP etc. as advised. No adjustments allow speeds in excess of 50Mbs.

What I meant is that the modem itself is quite transparent to data whether it's going to a VPN on not. And VM don't block or manage VPN traffic. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM with Docsis 3.0 has channels that are grouped and each channel is about 50Mb its possible VM for given traffic types to make a session not split down many channels but one channel. Reason for doing this could be to stop packet out of order from happening.

0 Kudos