cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Cyberghost throttling

steven45
Tuning in

Hi I am new to the forum so firstly a big hello to everyone. I am hoping someone can help with a really frustrating problem I am encountering.

When I connect with a VPN (Cyberghost) using Virgin Media I am getting max speeds for 35 meg, I have connected to multiple servers close by and this seems to be the fastest I can get. I am paying for a 200 meg connection and without Cyberghost applied the speed is fine but as soon as I connect to VPN the speeds are slow. This only happened since Thursday night and was fine before. I like the privacy of using a VPN.

I have spoken to Cyberghost and they have been through various things like changing the protocol etc and nothing has made a difference, they think it's my isp's end. I have also spoken to Virgin Media and they say they don't cap speeds but will not give me support regarding vpns.

I have seen various other people are encountering issues on the internet with using a VPN. It seems to me that Virgin are indeed throttling the connection speeds.

Can anyone offer any advice on this please

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Correct. Substantial is an understatement though. Most the time I can't get speeds above 1MB/s. Direct HTTPS downloads on the other hand while on the VPN can reach 35MB/s.

Having tested multiple VPN services to confirm that it is indeed only dropping when torrent traffic is started, I believe this rules out VPN's as the issue. Until a week ago I receiving very fair speeds with torrent traffic with only a small drop as expected with VPN's, same as HTTPS and FTP for example. Furthermore, I've tested with a range of connections via the torrent clients, again no difference.

I'm not certain it's throttling from VM, but I'm not the only high-usage customer on the forums that is seeing this issue and for the life of me I can't see an alternative. Tested on multiple platforms today; Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Also decided to tested older OpenVPN drivers. Always the same result.

Potential alternative explanation is a fault with the router or something. I currently don't have an alternative to test with.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

37 REPLIES 37

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What speeds was you get before with the VPN before it went slow?

Its always unclear if VM could throttle VPN but you could try in modem mode under a new IP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

How can I connect in modem mode please using IP. Thank you.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Heres how
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi thanks for the link but unfortunately I haven't got another router to connect to superhub 3 for modem mode. I could get one but I have heard on other websites that hasn't helped. It's frustrating as everything was working ok and can't get any answers from either Cyberghost or Virgin Media when I call them.

I was receiving approx 125-150 meg before Thursday using local server on VPN.  is it possible Virgin Media could cap users on a individual basis, based on download amounts, which may explain why only certain people are getting hit with this.

Thank you so much for helping me

VM don't operate any throttling or traffic management as per their published traffic management policy, whatever is causing the speed issue isn't a deliberate thing.

Have you tried an alternative VPN provider, perhaps one that offers a trial?

Hi thanks for your reply

I have also tried ExpressVPN as well as using Cyberghost which unfortunately gives me similar readings (regardless of close or far away servers). I can not get past about 32 meg when using a vpn. This only started happening from last Thursday. I have also ran the checks on my smartphone wirelessly (as well as wired on my Windows 10 64 bit desktop) and again speeds great when vpn switched off but with vpn on very slow. I appreciate vpn gives you a slower connection but not that slow.

I have a decent computer i5 6600k with 16 gig of ram, virus free and as i say I have tried with a smartphone and still get the same readings.

Can anyone throw any light on this please. Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not uncommon whether on VM or not. 

What's the use case for the VPN? Are there any other options besides using one? 

Hmm well i have been on Virgin Media a long time (since blueyonder days) but I have never known this happen before. There are reports on this website about throttling or traffic management see:-

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Vpn-throttling/td-p/3372391

My use case for the vpn is privacy. No other options that I know of no.

That's from 2017, all traffic management was ceased in early 2018.