Menu
SmokeyOdin
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VIVID 200 Capped Speed?

Hi,

I've been noticing that my broadband speed has been slower than it normally is, I used to get 200+mbps but over the last few months seems to be "capped" at 150-160mbps and I've been checking it at random times ie: early morning, evening, midnight, etc, but the result always comes back with the same kind of speeds. 

We recently just got a new box after having problems with the old box (Router login page saying Internet Access Denied) but the speeds are still the same. So I'm wondering if anyone would know why I'm losing out on anywhere between 50-60mbps speed?

I'm (always been) using 1200mbps Powerlines with Cat 6 cables.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8283688993.png

Most recent speed test above.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/7862122968.png

Last time I had the normal download speed.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VIVID 200 Capped Speed?

Powerlines are kind of like WiFi

They use your mains cabling, which picks up any and all RF interference in the area, and even when they do perform well, all it takes is a mouse to fart 3 doors up and all of a sudden you reckon you are back on dial up.

What does a speed-test connected straight to hub with ONLY that device connected say?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
SmokeyOdin
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, not been well, anyway I finally got around to plugging a pc into the router directly and after a few different servers on speedtest.net one of them finally gave me a result I'm happy with, some of the other servers gave me wildly different results from 80Mbps to about the same 140/150Mbps and then my final test before I was going to come back and post this one happened.

So I've just ordered some long cables to go from the router to the PCs in the upstairs rooms.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8344133974.png

Thanks for all your help.

8344133974.png

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not sure it's entirely the homeplugs.. make sure it's not time of day congestion. Because your last speed test was in the middle of the day - the rest are early to late evening when most people are online . If I was you I would wait a few days before I order those cables - unless you are not bothered about the money in which case carry on.

But it could well be area congestion.
0 Kudos
SmokeyOdin
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I had other problems with the powerlines randomly dropping connections (like I have at the moment) and I've even had two burn out, so I'm kinda done with them, so am quite happy to go back to proper wired connections
0 Kudos