Menu
deanasfreddie
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Using superhub 3 as modem and speeds down to 78Mb/s from 200Mb/s

I recently signed up to Virgin, didn't realise the hub had such a poor wifi range.  I live in an oldish house with brick internal walls but nothing medieval 🙂

Took to the forums to find a solution and tried wifi extenders but they didn't help. So I've bought a router and turned the hub into a modem and now my ping is around 14ms with a download speed sitting right next to the router of about 70-75mb/s where as before I didn't have the range but the speed (in the front room anyways).

Does the shub3 throttle connection on modem only mode? Everything seems a-ok with the connection. I even hardwired the laptop into the router via ethernet and still got the same speeds as wifi (on 5ghz band)

Did speedtest on two other phones, same results. Looked in router mgt settings and no restrictions on bandwidth.

Help 🙂

0 Kudos
deanasfreddie
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using superhub 3 as modem and speeds down to 78Mb/s from 200Mb/s

Nothing? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

what router did you get. Does it have 1Gbps WAN port

0 Kudos
deanasfreddie
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

sorry for coming back late to the part, I couldn't find my original post so redid a reply on another thread, this was the response;

Re: Super Hub 3 Modem Mode
@deanasfreddie wrote:

Hi - I am on vivid 200mb speed.  I originally had the SH3 on its own as a router but I couldn't even get a signal in the dining room and didn't see all the posts about the issues regarding signal strength from the SH3 until I had already signed up.  Anyways to my point;

I have bought an external router a TP-Link Archer C60, not the greatest I know but should do the job.  Everything connects ok, the SH3 is in modem mode with the purple light on but I am getting terrible speeds.  It's like the speed is capped when its set up like this.  In both wifi from the new router and also right now I type this with a cat7 ethermet cable directly in the TP router and doing speed test I'm only getting around 70mb download speed, a far cry from the promised 200mb.

I have read a few threads and its a little confusing, some saying match mac address, some saying when in modem mode it seems the SH3 almost halves your download capability, I would just like to know if there is anything I can do, like a step by step guide. 

Cheers Smiley Happy

You need to get a better router as the TP-Link Archer C60 only has 100Mb ports.

https://www.tp-link.com/la/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C60.html#specifications

So it would seem that the ports on the router are limited to 100mb, strange as the wireless speeds are way above that - so don't really understand the methodology around it all.  What would help do you think, a new £120+ router, or those power adapters I see, again quite pricey. 

Cheers,

🙂 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it this way first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub and then a second time to the Hub port - which is already in modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the tests at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc).
Post back what that gives you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos