cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a second hub as wifi extender

3bru2
Joining in

Hi all

i have poor wifi connection in one of the bedrooms and would like to use a cat 6 connection from the main router to bedroom and use a second vm hub 3 to extend my wifi range!

how can i do this. What settings do i need to change on the routers to allow this to happen?

8 REPLIES 8

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

What you are asking is impossible as the device will not boot up fully unless a cable is connected to the VM network, it would be best to buy something like a wireless access point I personally use a Netgear WNDAP350 and TP-Link TL-WA901ND.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

What you are asking is impossible as the device will not boot up fully unless a cable is connected to the VM network

I haven't tried with a Hub 3, but I can confirm from my experience that statement is factually incorrect for earlier hubs, and I'd therefore guess that the same applies to the Hub 3.  Plenty of posts on this forum describing how to do it.

Take this one - scan down to the reply from Sephiroth, follow those directions.  I'd advise that you reset the hub-to-be-access-point before starting, and then to make the changes to it (if possible) use a laptop or chromebook to connect to it via ethernet, rather than using the ethernet from any primary PC.  The logic there is that Windows struggles if you keep switching its ethernet connection, which doesn't make it impossible, but in my experience requires you to restart the network adaptor a number of times, and that's inconvenient and time consuming.

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

What you are asking is impossible as the device will not boot up fully unless a cable is connected to the VM network, it would be best to buy something like a wireless access point I personally use a Netgear WNDAP350 and TP-Link TL-WA901ND.

Regards Mike

wrong - all the superhubs can be used as a wifi switch - just turn off DHCP and change the ip addy - never tried it on a hub3 but its worth a try if thats what you have spare - annoying part is connection light flashes as its not connected to the network but some black tape cures that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I've posted about this on multiple occasions, you can have any old hub as a secondary router in a LAN to LAN connection, key things are to set its IP address to be on the same IP segment as the hub's (in router mode) and to disable the DHCP server.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi mate, I’ve got two super hub 3s. One upstairs which is the main one and I’m looking to install the 2nd down stairs to get better WiFi to the front of the house. I have got a cat 6 Ethernet cable from the super hub upstairs running down to where I want to put the 2nd. I have looked at multiple forums and videos and I can’t seem to find exactly how to complete the setup. I’ve logged onto the second hub using a Ethernet cable plugged into my laptop and disabled the DHCP on the second router but I can’t seem to find the next step where people are saying you need to change the wan IP address. 

would you be able to give some insight how to complete the setup. 

James 

Jbirtles
Joining in

Hi mate did you manage to sort this out in the end as I’m also trying to do the same. 

james 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Jbirtles wrote:

Hi mate, I’ve got two super hub 3s. One upstairs which is the main one and I’m looking to install the 2nd down stairs to get better WiFi to the front of the house. I have got a cat 6 Ethernet cable from the super hub upstairs running down to where I want to put the 2nd. I have looked at multiple forums and videos and I can’t seem to find exactly how to complete the setup. I’ve logged onto the second hub using a Ethernet cable plugged into my laptop and disabled the DHCP on the second router but I can’t seem to find the next step where people are saying you need to change the wan IP address. 

would you be able to give some insight how to complete the setup. 

James 

you cannot change the internal ip address on a hub3 so it cannot be used - you can use the SH2 or 2ac if you have one or know anyone who has

failing that most 3rd party routers can be used in the same way as you want if you want/need to keep the wifi nn the hub3

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Can anyone else confirm whether this is true? I’m seeing mixed responses on this thread. I personally have hit a roadblock when attempting to set the IP address...

Anyone actually got this working with 2 SH3s?