Menu
Ben86
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Upstream issues

With the warmer weather about we keep suffering from these mini dropouts with our superhub 2, happens over wifi and wired. Today there was local outage and since the connection was restored I've noticed there was alot of T3's and T4's in the logs, ive rebooted the hub but I'm guessing the upstream is still too high on 2 of the channels

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 17.40.34.pngScreenshot 2019-05-21 at 17.45.00.png

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upstream issues

You are correct, the upstream is maxed out on two of the channels and the high T3 count also confirms the upstream misbehaving.

You will need to contact VM for resolution, either by waiting here about a week until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben86, 

Thank you for your post. My apologies for any issues you're having. 

I will private message you to look into this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Alison_Cale
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Im the account holder can we get this issue fixed please
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alison_Cale,

Thank you for your post. 

I will private message you now.

^Martin

0 Kudos
Ben86
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

An update, had a tech out yesterday and he said there was a fault with the signal entering the property which would require a network guy to look at. The network guy has been out today, seen him working in a couple of 'pits' on our road, had a knock on the door and he said everything should be working ok.

Upstream has reduced from 51 to high 30's, only now i see the downstream is at +8/9, i know this is still in spec, just.

2 Questions 

Does downstream go up or down in warm weather?

Should i purchase an attenuator incase the downstream creeps over +10 if so which one would i need?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Variations in power levels are common and are not to be concerned about unless they go outside limits and cause you a problem.

Do not fit an attenuator to the hub, it's VM's job to deal with their equipment which you are renting.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Ben86 wrote:

An update, had a tech out yesterday and he said there was a fault with the signal entering the property which would require a network guy to look at. The network guy has been out today, seen him working in a couple of 'pits' on our road, had a knock on the door and he said everything should be working ok.

Upstream has reduced from 51 to high 30's, only now i see the downstream is at +8/9, i know this is still in spec, just.

2 Questions 

Does downstream go up or down in warm weather?

Should i purchase an attenuator incase the downstream creeps over +10 if so which one would i need?

If your downstream was very low power when your upstream was very high power, it means that the whole thing was struggling to converse in both directions.

if your downstream was normal but your upstream was high (51) there was noise in the upstream hence the network engineer.  51 is the point where the circuit resets/flaps.

Now that you re 8/9 (normal) and 30s all is well. They either fixed the cable or ore likely changed your tap point in the cabinet.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In warm weather the cables will expand slightly but more importantly will heat up, metals increase in resistivity as they get warmer so in theory your downstream power levels should fall. Conversely the hub will need to ramp its power output up slightly to get the signal back to the cabinet so your upstream power levels will rise. How much (or indeed if it really noticeably happens at all) depends on far too many factors to be able to predict but your current power levels are within spec (especially the upstream ones) so there shouldn't be any issues.

No need to get an attenuator no.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

In warm weather the cables will expand slightly but more importantly will heat up, metals increase in resistivity as they get warmer so in theory your downstream power levels should fall. Conversely the hub will need to ramp its power output up slightly to get the signal back to the cabinet so your upstream power levels will rise. How much (or indeed if it really noticeably happens at all) depends on far too many factors to be able to predict but your current power levels are within spec (especially the upstream ones) so there shouldn't be any issues.

No need to get an attenuator no.

Your upstream power levels are out of spec.  When they reach 51 (shown as 5.1) the modem resets.  You have an upstream problem.

Have a read:  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-A-TECHNICAL-PRIMER-updated-October-2...

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos