Menu
Highlighted
stampie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Upload speeds to cloud providers appear to be throttled?

I have up to a 20mb/s upload speed, but my experience is getting nowhere near this.

I have been trialling Synolgy c2 & iDrive cloud backup services, but the upload speeds are always in the range of 2.7 - 3mb/s maximum. (this is from a NAS connected by ethernet to the router)

I also use OneDrive and Dropbox, and both of these seem to max out around 2.6mb/s from an ethernet connected PC (wireless laptop results are the same).

If the poor performance was with one provider, it might point towards an issue with them (or their location in the world), but for the same problem to exist across all these providers it points to an issue closer to home.

Speedtests are fine and get up to the 20mb/s figure every time, so what's going on?

I do not have any traffic monitoring running and restricting things, and time of day or night doesn't seem to make a difference (it was no quicker at 2am for instance), so I believe it needs more investigation by Virgin Media to see if there is an issue with my connection that needs resolving

I recently upgraded to secure the higher upload speed, so gutted that it is not performing at the moment.

Please assist me in sorting this problem out

Regards

Nick

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speeds to cloud providers appear to be throttled?

For clarification, is it Mbps or MBps ?

File transfers are usually measured in MBps, 1 MBps = 8 Mbps

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

2.6MB is 20.8Mbps so it's quite possible that you're getting full speed.

As said above Mb and MB are different measurements, internet speeds are commonly measured in Mb (Megabits) but some apps display speeds in MB (Megabytes).

stampie
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the responses. The traffic monitor is showing 2.6MB/s, so looks ok, which is always good to hear.

Glad they made the terms so easy to distinguish (not)!
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's a very common mistake and often causes confusion on here. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've used Idrive for years - it's very good and I also use remotepc which is also their product - both are £100 a year but so so worth it for daily use.
0 Kudos