Menu
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speed

300Mb is £59.99 a month, including line rental, going to £64.99 a month once your 18 month contract is up.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Problem sorter
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
also £75.89 month for just the 600/60 internet so alittle more expensive

If your talking about the UPC deals, I get the 600/60 at £57~ if you include the discount.  The 300/30 works out at £46 (That's less than I was paying for 200/10).

While Ignition's prices for BT FTTP look a little expensive, they look lower than what those speed tiers were announced at two years ago.  Lets not forget too that FTTP with OpenReach should allow people to constantly switch suppliers when their contract is up and keep their phone number.  With Virgin it's hit and miss if you can get a new customer deal (or close) on existing contracts.

Half the streets near me have G.Fast ( tho, my town is not on the OpenReach list ) so Hopefully this time next year I can make a move.  I suspect that my area will see substantial discounts by VM once it's all green.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

you can keeop your phone number moving to or from Vm as well

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Blitzbok wrote:

@Ignition wrote:

Yes, there are plans to increase it from the maximum 20Mb at the moment.

Spoiler: not to 100Mb. 

Could you provide us with sources for said claim?

Yes, I could, but then said sources wouldn't want to share anything else with me, so no-one wins.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

If your talking about the UPC deals, I get the 600/60 at £57~ if you include the discount.  The 300/30 works out at £46 (That's less than I was paying for 200/10).

While Ignition's prices for BT FTTP look a little expensive, they look lower than what those speed tiers were announced at two years ago.  Lets not forget too that FTTP with OpenReach should allow people to constantly switch suppliers when their contract is up and keep their phone number.  With Virgin it's hit and miss if you can get a new customer deal (or close) on existing contracts.

Half the streets near me have G.Fast ( tho, my town is not on the OpenReach list ) so Hopefully this time next year I can make a move.  I suspect that my area will see substantial discounts by VM once it's all green.

G.fast sucks. VM have shown no interest in providing 'substantial discounts' based on its availability and have no reason to. G.fast's pricing is about the same as VM's, and the performance is far more unreliable due to the distance limitations.

There are very few ISPs offering FTTP services at the moment and BT are the cheapest of them as far as I know. For things to get much cheaper requires Openreach/BT Wholesale to drop the price of their backhaul and their service rental. 

To get from the customer's home to the exchange / headend on Openreach FTTP at 330Mb costs an ISP 45.60GBP / month. No further than the exchange. The 1000/220 FTTP service is 96GBP/month for the rental between home and exchange. Then there's the cost of getting the traffic from the exchange to the Internet, the support costs, hardware costs, etc, etc.

So, no, VM aren't going to start handing out discounts even more readily than they already do, which IMHO they do ridiculously easily, because of either G.fast or FTTP from Openreach.

Vodafone Gigafast, however...

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/web-shop/broadband/deals/gigafast

mpitts
Tuning in
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

My upload speed was always a very constant 20Mbps (this is on Vivid 350) according to speedtest.net.

However just recently upload has been anywhere between 40Mbps to 60Mbps. (Albeit it jumps around a lot whilst under test)

IF any VM engineers are reading this please don't come and slow me down, I feel I'm owed this for past misdemeanors...

Speed test results.JPG

0 Kudos
mpitts
Tuning in
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Currently showing 95Mbps upload...

Speed test results 2.JPG

I'm sure this is just a quirk of (Speedtest.net + Virgin).

All the other online speed checkers show 20Mbps...

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
you can keeop your phone number moving to or from Vm as well

That can be done moving to and from FTTP and FTTC also. I would speculate many people interested in ultrafast services, >300Mb, are not that bothered by landlines anyway Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@mpitts

See this post here, about halfway down where I was getting 750Mbps out of a 100Mbps line Smiley Surprised

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/How-soon-can-we-upgrade-to-Gigabit-Gigabit-speeds-over-DO...

Also you should try and upload something compressed, and 2GB+ to a fast cloud server.  Google Drive, Mega.co.nz or something else.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

more likely you were getting a cached speedtest result.

0 Kudos