Menu
pinkkatie
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Upload speed test error / upload glitches that can't be resolved?

For the last two weeks I've been having a lot of issues with upload - particularly when working from home on a VPN. The issues are definitely with my internet connection as I don't experience them when working on other wireless networks, and when I have run a speedtest (using speedtest.net) it almost consistently has an error when calculating upload speed. Once or twice it has worked at the upload speed has been fine - but this has only been once or twice compared to 30+ times finding an error.

I contacted Customer Support by phone yesterday who were unable to find any problems and suggested that I reset my router - which I have done a number of times to no avail.

I noted that another customer had a similar problem in November (here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/No-upload-speed-for-3-days/td-p/3864994) and was hoping for some assistance to solve mine!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speed test error / upload glitches that can't be resolved?

Hi Pinkkatie,

I'm afraid we can't touch VPNs, you'll have to speak to your works network administrator or the owner of the VPN.

Other than that can I ask if this is entirely over wireless? Have you tried plugging in using an ethernet cable? Wireless is a very unstable medium and depends entirely on the environment in which it operates, you can try changing wireless channels to avoid interference but I'd strongly suggest using an ethernet cable for a more stable and consistent connection.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speed test error / upload glitches that can't be resolved?

Speedtest.net shouldn't be going through the VPN tunnel. See if whomever operates your VPN can't use split tunnel VPN rather than shoving everything through it.

0 Kudos