cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed keeps dropping

Simon_Jones6
Joining in

Hey all

I've been a virgin broadband customer for over 10 years and last year I took an upgrade to the 350mb service. My PC is connected to my Hub 3 router via a cat 6 cable. It is a desktop PC with i7 7700k CPU 16 gb ram 1080 Ti graphics and 1tb SSD, running on Windows 10 home. 

I am getting dropout of my upload speed throughout the day dropping to less than 1mb when normally it is 35-38mb and its affecting my work as I have to do video calls and I keep getting kicked out of teams and Citrix keeps dropping. Its driving me nuts as I got this for a stable high speed connection and that's not what I am getting. I think its either a hub or outside cable issue, but I can't get virgin to DO ANYTHING. Download is fine at around 385mb.

I have tried replacing network cable, switching to a different port, etc but nothing works. connections to power and cable are fine not loose etc, but this has got me pulling my hair out. I have just started broadband quality monitor although nothing showing on the graph atm.

Anyone had any luck getting an actual engineer to come out, or got any other suggestions, or better yet anyone recommend another provider, as I've had just about enough of this?

Cheers

Simon

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks kenmaredw

That would be great if you could

Have a good afternoon 

Gareth_L

xxb1126
Joining in

You are not alone, I have the same issue since last week. Download is fine but upload keep dropping. The issue happen for few hours during each day which is very annoying because without stable upload connection the internet won't work properly

I did call tech support last week, and was told there is a network issue (not local issue and won't show up on service status via my account) affecting the service since 26 April and should be fix by today 4 May.

Hello xxb1126

Sorry that you are also having similar issues 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi Gareth_L 

The VM engineer called this morning at a very prompt 08:30. It appears the cable that comes from the street to my wall box needs to be replaced. He stated that the engineer that installed my service in February should have seen that the connection and cable was bad. The fibre cable will be replaced on 17th May.

I will keep you updated on this thread.

Hi kenmaredw

I had a feeling that may be the issue, at least we know the resolution now.

Please do keep us updated on how things are after the 12th 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth_L

Just had an unexpected visit from a couple of VM contractors that fixed my upload problem.

They looked at the cabinet on the road and said that it needed refurbishing inside with newer components and as I am only one of two people connected to it they managed to find a connection slot that is giving me the correct signal. I now have 250Mbps DL and 29Mbps UL. Happy days!

They have taken photos of the cabinet and are reporting it for repair which they think will happen very soon.

Needless to say I am very pleased with this outcome.

Thanks for all your help 

Ken

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @kenmaredw,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue!

We're glad to hear that this issue has been resolved and you're happy with the outcome!

Please keep us updated on how you get on with your connection and let us know if there's anything else we can do. 

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs