cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed keeps dropping

Simon_Jones6
Joining in

Hey all

I've been a virgin broadband customer for over 10 years and last year I took an upgrade to the 350mb service. My PC is connected to my Hub 3 router via a cat 6 cable. It is a desktop PC with i7 7700k CPU 16 gb ram 1080 Ti graphics and 1tb SSD, running on Windows 10 home. 

I am getting dropout of my upload speed throughout the day dropping to less than 1mb when normally it is 35-38mb and its affecting my work as I have to do video calls and I keep getting kicked out of teams and Citrix keeps dropping. Its driving me nuts as I got this for a stable high speed connection and that's not what I am getting. I think its either a hub or outside cable issue, but I can't get virgin to DO ANYTHING. Download is fine at around 385mb.

I have tried replacing network cable, switching to a different port, etc but nothing works. connections to power and cable are fine not loose etc, but this has got me pulling my hair out. I have just started broadband quality monitor although nothing showing on the graph atm.

Anyone had any luck getting an actual engineer to come out, or got any other suggestions, or better yet anyone recommend another provider, as I've had just about enough of this?

Cheers

Simon

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you post up some data and set up a BQM that should help see any problems

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Simon_Jones6, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issue you've had with upload speeds.

I've taken a look from here and there are known faults & I wasn't able to identity any obvious issues. It would be helpful if you can get back to us with the hub/bqm data as requested by jbrennand above, so we can see if there are any problems there.

Tom 

kenmaredw
Tuning in

I’ve only been with them for 3 months and my upload has never gone above 7Mbps on the 350 package. I have had zero help from Virgin Media. Would I be able to cancel my contract with them without loss?

The customer service is very poor, I keep getting fobbed off and told it will be fixed in 24hrs and we tried to call you but couldn’t reach you.

I would rather go back to BT and forsake the faster download speed for a more consistent 10Mbps upload.

Hello kenmaredw

Sorry to hear this is happening to you 

Do you have the same speeds on a wired and non wired device 

Gareth_L

The speeds are the same wired and wireless. I'm using modem mode with a mesh wifi network. The DL is slightly faster if I wire directly to the hub 3 but the UL is always the same 6Mbps. I'm getting a bit tired of this now as it costing me £18 pm more than my BT fibre and the experience is not what I expected. Sort of regretting the change now!

Thanks for replying kenmaredw

I am happy to get an engineer out if you wish me to 

Gareth_L

Yes please

Hi kenmaredw

I have booked an engineer for you 

You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L

Many thanks and yes I will post back here.