cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed inconsistences while streaming with Twitch

BlackwellTV
Joining in

Noted from about the 18th June, I've been having irregularities with my upload speeds on Twitch. No matter which settings I select I seem to get dropped frames (typically I stream at 7000kb/s, but gradually I am seeing drops to <100kb/s).

I've started collecting data through Broadband Quality Monitor, and I have data from the Twitch tracker, but with no publicly known issues in the area I'm unsure where to turn to re-establish consistency.

Bear with me as I'm new to understanding packet loss and latency etc in this capacity. I'm happy to share any info I can gather to get me back to work on Twitch!

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Might be the way the send packets are done for the upstream? with 4 channels it might not divide packets evenly and selects one channel? then other modems might use that channel bring the bandwidth down?

Or Twitch is overloaded.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Is that something I can adjust?

Hi BlackwellTV

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the upload speed issues. Upon running a fault diagnostic, I can see your area has an SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue. 

You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

The fault reference is F009117614 and the estimated fix date is the 30th June at 11.50am (very specific). Please monitor the connection after this time and report back, we'll be glad to help if needed.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

@legacy1 wrote:
Might be the way the send packets are done for the upstream? with 4 channels it might not divide packets evenly and selects one channel? then other modems might use that channel bring the bandwidth down?

No. There's a scheduler that handles the balancing based on load. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was kudos'd so it brought me back to it.

Basics of cable networks indicate that modems transmit on whatever upstream channels they are told to. 

Basics of the request-grant cycle that DoCSIS works on indicate that there should be no balancing issues. The equipment on the other end of all the cable modems is very aware of the loading of each upstream channel.

It'd be a hideous software bug if the load were imbalanced. There's no reason why it would be.