Menu
BIGTONE1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Upload speed for music streaming

Hi all

I am trying to start a charity online radio station.  Music only for 2 hours per day. I have set up the streaming service ok. However when my stream broadcasts via Winamp every 7 seconds it disconnects then auto connects.  I have adjusted my upload bitrate as low as 20 Kbps and it still does it.  Is this down to virgin?

I am on vivid 150 with 10Mbs upload.

Will I need ADSL  line instead of my broadband?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speed for music streaming

@BIGTONE1 wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to start a charity online radio station.  Music only for 2 hours per day. I have set up the streaming service ok. However when my stream broadcasts via Winamp every 7 seconds it disconnects then auto connects.  I have adjusted my upload bitrate as low as 20 Kbps and it still does it.  Is this down to virgin?

I am on vivid 150 with 10Mbs upload.

Will I need ADSL  line instead of my broadband?

Thanks

We cant tell you without metrics and a description of LAN side setup.

How is the device you are streaming from connected to the internet? WIred? Wireless? What is it? What does a speed-test say? do you have issues with other applications, or JUST streaming radio? What is the setup for streaming, to  a remote server or straight to the listeners?

If its any help back in the day I regularly did streams to maybe 30 people from a 50Mbps connection with upstream management, without any issues.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
BIGTONE1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It’s wired straight to router. I have built my own studio with output from my mixer into my lappie for internet connect.speedtest says 160Mbs down 10Mbs up. No issues with any other internet devices only streaming the music. The music is going to a remote server.  They say about 96 Kbps should be ample.  That’s what other streamers use. I’ve tried as low as 20kbps and it still momentarily disconnects.They have checked their end and all is ok It does stream ok and sounds good when it’s on but every 7 seconds it momentarily disconnects and reconnects through Winamp.

thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BIGTONE1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

• Thanks for your interest.  I now have it running.  It’s uploading at 96Kbs.
  • the streaming service put me on another server in another location and that seems to have cured it. I don’t know what was causing the conflict but I’m pleased it’s sorted.
  • 👍
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sounds like it was the server rather then your connection

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't forget you will need a licence for any amount of streaming - if this is a charity you can get one free but you will need at the minimum a PRS licence.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

depends what you are streaming if its your own work you will not

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Indeed but it's unlikely to be ?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

your making assumptions and copyright infringement is a civil matter. If the copyright owners do not take action nothing will happen. you can't be criminally charged for copyright infringement the holder would have to take you to court.

Fun fact. that's how I get away with Urban exploring so much. Its trespass is not a criminal offence

Use Kudos to say thanks