cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed Dropping in Evenings - BQM

DJDamien
Tuning in

Hi,

I've had an ongoing issue with my upload speed during evenings and have been referred to the community forum by the Twitter team.

Basically, I stream to Twitch and almost all evenings, the upload bitrate will drive due to a throttled upload speed. This usually happens bang on the hour or half hour (8:30pm seems to the the most common time) and the upload speed improves again after 10pm. On the advice of the Twitter team, I have had a quality monitor on for the last few weeks, but they have told me to post it here instead as it's of a "technical nature".

Here's the snapshot of my BQM data during the last two days I streamed, Thursday and Friday last week. Not really sure if it represents my experience with the connection, but hopefully it's a decent starting point. Please let me know if another view of the data would be more helpful though.

For the record, I have been streaming since the start of the year and this issue occurs pretty much every day at around the same times (no additional devices are being used at this time). I have tried calling customer support but many of the people I have spoken to can't differentiate upload and download speed or talk about wifi black spots when I've said that this issue occurs on multiple device, even when plugged in by ethernet.

Is there any further information needed to help assist here?

18 REPLIES 18

bazcb87
Joining in

Ive been getting terrible drops streaming to twitch for the last few weeks aswell

Hi @DJDamien,

Thank you for the update. The BQM seems to show signs of improvement since the visit.

How has streaming been in the last 24 hrs? Are you still experiencing dips since you posted?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I don't usually stream on Saturdays, but to be fair, Friday was much more stable than regular. There is always the odd stream where the upload speed doesn't bottom out so I'll keep an eye on it in the coming week. Thanks!

Having had a few days to test it, I can confirm that issues still remain. So far, the drops have not been as drastic for as long but they're still there at the same times as prior to the visit. Is there any more information that I should provide?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Power levels being too high or at least under 15 dBmV never seem to be the issue for packet loss.🤐

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last night, the upload dropped to about 1/6 of what I have it set as at 8:30 and hovered between that and 1/2 of what it should be for the remainder of the stream. Definitely not fixed. 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update @DJDamien, I'm really sorry to hear that you are still experiencing these issues with your upload speeds when streaming.

I've ran some checks on your broadband and everything is looking well from there.

May I ask how many devices in your household are using your WiFi at the time that you are streaming?

Kind regards,

Serena

3 devices. The same amount as before the drops in service. These drops happen on the quarter and half hour and when there are slight improvements, they also happen on the quarter or half hour. The technician who visited told me it looks like I may need a new hub but was apprehensive to provide this on his first visit.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry about the ongoing issues @DJDamien. I've taken a closer look into this today and as before there are no known faults and everything appears to be fine - I appreciate that's not been your experience though.

I can see it's been nearly a couple of weeks since the hub was rebooted - rather than a normal reboot can you please try a factory reset? 

With the Hub turned on, push the pinhole button all the way in and hold it there for a timed 60 seconds. Your Hub settings and your passwords/passphrase for both the WiFi networks & settings will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card so all devices will need to be reconnected manually.

Sorry for the hassle but if that doesn't help then we'll likely need to arrange a follow-up visit, so please continue to keep us updated.

Tom