cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Inconsistency and Dropped frames

Squibz
Tuning in

I am using the M200 package and generally my experience has been positive, however recently I have been encountering a recurring issue when attempting to stream to Twitch resulting in repeated crashing of upload speeds from 6000kbps to almost zero, then spiking back up, etc. This results in dropped frames and at times this is averaging around 30% dropped frames, so I am unable to continue streaming. I have tried swapping cables, rebooting the router and other devices, etc. None of this helps while it is happening, and it's important to note that I was able to stream before perfectly on the same setup and no change has occurred on my end. I am in the NR2 postcode, if this helps. 

The automated help system wants to reset my router because I've disabled WiFi, however I have the WiFi disabled on the router for a reason (I use a separate mesh WiFi system for my WiFi) so I don't want to do that. I've worked in IT for 20+ years so I know it's not anything I'm doing wrong. Outside of the streaming issue, the connection is fine and I can accomplish all of my other use cases just fine. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

23 REPLIES 23

Squibz
Tuning in

I tried this with the new DNS and I still got dropped frames, but the speed didn't crash as low. It managed to stay at around 5% dropped frames max. Still not as good as it was previously but better than before. I will try to switch to Google's DNS as main in a stream tomorrow and see whether that makes a difference when compared to Cloudflare's. I don't know that this is a solution but it is better than nothing at all. 

Hi @Squibz,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been having recent issues with your service. We can understand this is not ideal and we want to best help.

I have been able to access your service on our system to be able to look into this issue for you. Everything seems fine hub-wise. There are also no local issues that may be affecting your service. In this case, are you able to run a broadband quality monitor https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality so we can best see what is going on with your service?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Performance is dire tonight, It went down to 0kbps several times. I had to end stream. 

Here is what you asked for:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/view/94f1313b12678f67684723e8b651172d63d...

I'm almost at the point where my fee is going up after a year so perhaps I'll change providers when that happens if I can't resolve this 😞

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for providing this @Squibz

I have check the systems again at our side and everything is in spec and can see no issues that might be causing these issues. Our Sam Knows system also advises that there are no issues with speeds to the router. Do you have these drop outs only when streaming and gaming?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi, yes, but it isn't consistent. I had a bad period in the winter, then everything was fine for a while. Recently it's been bad again. Sometimes when I test earlier in the day it's completely without dropped frames but typically I'm seeing this between 7pm and 10pm. 

Also, just to clarify, I can stream a static image with the same problems, so it isn't as if the machine is being overtaxed.

Thanks for coming back to us @Squibz, how's the service been since your most recent post? Do you have any more up to date BQM's for us to look into? 

I've looked into the local area, and no faults currently appear to be showing

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I gave up on this for a long time. Tried it again tonight and I had the same problems. Sudden drops in kbps then spiking back up. I cannot stream this way. I've analysed logs in OBS ad there's in problem in setup, it just shows network issues. 

This should still be valid and does show dropped packets: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e074febe96293b48cd4dc17dd4de4fecf5...

I don't know why I'm paying for the tier I'm on, it's not working for what I need it to.