cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to M350 a while ago, but it's not much faster than when I had M200.

Ravenger
On our wavelength

Hi, I upgraded to M350 from M200 a few months ago, but I'm not seeing much faster internet than when I was on M200. It is a bit faster, but not by much - not enough to justify the upgrade. I used to get about 206mbit/s, now I'm getting 227mbit/s.

I've given it a bit of time to see if things have improved, but it's stayed the same.

I'm disappointed as the upgrade seems to be a bit of a waste of money if I'm not seeing any improvement, I might as well have stayed at M200.

My modem is in modem mode, and I have a D-Link DIR-878 router. That's got a 1000Mbit/s LAN connection, so that shouldn't be the limiting factor. Windows shows the connection as being 1000Mbit/s.

Any help gratefully recieved, thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

The first thing I would try is to go through all of the connections on the DLINK and look for any QoS settings (and personally I hate that terms as it’s nothing. To do with what QoS technically is - rant over), which might be limiting the bandwidth.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ravenger wrote:

<snip>    My modem is in modem mode, and I have a D-Link DIR-878 router. That's got a 1000Mbit/s LAN connection, so that shouldn't be the limiting factor.

Just for information, and off topic of this thread, it’s a wrong assumption that a gigabit LAN connection equates to a gigabit WAN throughput. My old Draytek 2860 has a gigabit WAN port, but only has a 300mb WAN throughput. It’s something users often overlook when choosing a Router. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Is it really off topic?   Has @Ravenger tried a direct connection without the additional router?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ravenger
On our wavelength
Not yet. I guess I'll have to reset the modem back into router mode to do that.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

No. It will work in modem mode.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hey @Ravenger,

Thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your connection.

Have you been able to get any improvements of your services with the advice from the forum members?

I have also looked into your account and cannot see anything that would be causing the issues with your connection as everything is well within the spec for a good connection.

Regards,

Steven_L

Ravenger
On our wavelength

Hi,

Thanks for checking. I haven't yet tried direct connection to my superhub. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Cheers.

Thank you for that. Please do let us know how it goes.

^Martin