Menu
mdoran
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to 350, yet speeds go down

Hi.

I was on the 200mb broadband, upgraded to 350mb.  Uploads are good, 20mb.  However the downloads have gone down, on the 200mb option I was constantly speed testing at 220mb (give or take a few mb), however I've now gone down to 150mb.

Called Virgin but waste of time.  Was told it would take 24-48 hours to take effect, pointed out my upload has already changed so why not the downloads? Actually at first the guy on the phone saw no issue with the 150mb download...

So he started asking me to turn off the router, reseat the coxial cable (as if that will make a difference), I've made no changes, Virgin have made the changes, the issue is at their end, or if not they should ask for certain settings on the router, but instead they treat everyone like its always the customers network that is the issue.

So far I'm not impressed with Virgin especially as I've seen a few posts in here with exactly the same issue I have (even the same speed limits). Has anyone on here experienced what I am going through and what was the eventual resolution?

Many thanks for reading

Djamberd
Joining in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to 350, yet speeds go down

Same issue here.  Have a feeling it's the new 3.0 router as it sounds like something loose in it

mdoran
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Right, contacted help via the Online Chat.  Again waste of time, but they did give me the following number: 0800 014 7393.  Calling this number was very good, the lady on the other end actually listened instead of reading from a script.  So did a few speed tests, she was looking at the router at the same time, in the end, she wanted me to reset my router, which I didn't want to do, so I backed up the config.  Reset the router, same speed test figures, however, once I said that to the lady I heard a few more keystrokes and my internet connection dropped for about 30-60 seconds, and amazingly my speeds then shot up to 270mb (was averaging about 140-150mb beforehand).  I said to the lady she just made a change and she denied it (whilst trying not to laugh), but I'd bet everything it was a change she has made.  Now I did ask her would I still get the same speeds if I uploaded my saved config, which she said it would. So doesn't this prove that it was nothing to do with my settings?

Anyway, progress has been made and the lady was very helpful, glad I called that number. Just going to monitor the speeds over the next few days as I should be showing 350mb+ speeds.

Thanks for reading

jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn be the first time someone forget to press a button Smiley Happy  One clue is upload speeds - if you are still on the 200 "package they will be around 12mbps - if you are on the 350 - they will be around 20.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi mdoran,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and your downstream power levels are too high. I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you.

I will pop you a Pm to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner.

Speak to you soon.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mdoran
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Thanks for the assistance.  The engineer arrived on Friday evening, replaced the router and fixed the power issue, however, speeds are still at 150mb.  He has logged a call with the Network Team as he's been told there is some noise on the line. I guess I'll just have to keep monitoring the situation.

One thing that does kind of stand out is the fact of when upgrading the speed goes down. Surely this points to an option/setting at the VM end of the network. I've seen quite a few posts on this forum of people upgrading from 200 to 350mb and their speeds have dropped to 150mb. This can't be a coincidence that all of us suffer the exact same issue with the same speeds?

Anyway, I'll keep monitoring, again thank you for the help in trying to resolve my issue

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi mdoran,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am glad the engineer helped to get the power levels sorted. 

I am sorry to see you have continued to have speed issues. 

Hopefully the engineer will be able to get the noise issue reported so that things can be resolved. 

If you notice any changes let us know and we will be happy to investigate further. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mdoran
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi. 

Its been a couple of weeks now since I’ve upgrade to 350 and the engineer visit yet speeds are still down, to recap I was speed testing 220mb steady, but as soon as I upgraded to 350 my speeds went down to 150mb. Does anyone know what the best next step is for my issue?

many thanks 

mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cheule
Up to speed
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, try turning off your antivirus for the duration of the speedtest, and go to speedtest.net if you don't use that already.

See if that helps. Smiley Happy

Vivid 350 - Superhub 3 modem mode --> RT-AC3200
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi mdoran,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. It may help to try the following so we can rule some things out:

Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking at different times of the day.

Try on separate devices.

Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).

Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.

Check wireless card slide.

Take care.

Emma

0 Kudos