cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 1Gb but getting 500mb speeds

gino667
Tuning in

I upgraded my account recently to 1Gb from 500mb and previously was getting 500-600 speeds consistently. After i placed the upgrade order I was getting speeds of around 800 and higher on my hub3. About a week later after the upgrade i was sent a hub4 and the speeds dropped significantly and I now never get speeds above 500 and usually around 300 or lower even, websites also take long to request.

I had an engineer come by and he did not see any issues with the connection and confirmed that he was registering 1Gb speeds up to the hub but they were not coming out of the hub at 1Gb, neither wired or through WiFi. 

After i had upgraded and the hub4 was sent out, i got an email from Virgin if i wanted to upgrade to Hub5. I confirmed i did but my order got cancelled couple of days after as it stated i recently got upgraded to hub4 (!). The engineer also advised that 1Gb would be better suited to the Hub5.

This is getting really frustrating now as I am paying a lot more now and recently a price increase has been announced as well and was previously enjoying stable speeds!

Any suggestions to resolve this would be great or perhaps if the hub5 can be sent out. 

12 REPLIES 12

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @gino667,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I have been looking at our systems and cannot see any issues with your connection or in the local area at the moment. Are your issues still ongoing?

I will also check to see if we can get a hub 5 sent out to you as I'm not sure that we are able to do that yet, I will be in touch, when I hear anything back from the team about this.

Regards,

Steven_L

@Steven_L many thanks for your response. Yes the problem still persists. 

The engineer confirmed the same, no problem up to the hub and was registering 1Gbp speeds but not coming out of the hub through either Wi-Fi or ethernet.

That would be great, as that was also the engineer's only solution to the problem. Unfortunately he could not give me one as he was only permitted to swap with a broken one.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to us gino667,

I can see that Stephen is already looking into this for you. I will message Stephen to see if he has had any updates for you regarding the SH5.

We will post back when we have further information.

Kind regards Jodi. 

That great, many thanks Jodi

No problem 🙂

Beth

Hi, any update on this?

Hi gino667, 

Thanks for your patience on this one. 

With Hub 5's, as it stands these are in a soft launch phase so we are unable to upgrade you to one. The invites that were sent out were pre-populated based on the accounts at the time we were looking. 

As it stands, we're not offering the Hub 5's to anyone on the 1GB service, anyone who uses their landline through the Hub or anyone who currently has existing pods. 

As you are on the 1GB service, we wouldn't be able to offer you a Hub 5 for now. 

If and when this changes, we will be certain to let you know. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That does not make much sense. You’re not offering your latest hubs on the best broadband speeds you have to offer on a soft launch? Counterintuitive if you ask me … 

So what will happen with my current issue then? You have left this unaddressed. I am paying for 1Gbps and getting less than 50% of that out of my hub4. I would prefer to be downgraded then to 500Mb although I would hazard a guess I am out of my 14 days as I have been patiently waiting trusting this would be resolved..

Can you advise on next steps pls which seem to me either downgrading back to 500mb or a discount. Unless there are other suggestions to get this resolved?

To add to the above. When I was upgraded to 1Gbs I was advised the £35 activation fee would be waved. I’ve noticed on my latest bill that I actually have been charged for this. Can this be reversed please.