cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded speed not working

Svengps
Joining in

Hi everyone,

Around 3 weeks ago I upgraded my plan from m100 to m200 but have yet to see this increased speed. If anything my average speed is around 20-50mb during the day.

Can anyone let me know what I should do?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Svengps wrote:

Also just checked Wi-Fi at the same time and that is also 98mbps now.

98mb sounds very like something is capped at 10/100 on the device.   Even on 100 tier you should get just over 100mb.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Is that speed over WiFi?  If so please check what speed you get over a wired connection.

WiFi speeds are not guaranteed, and if you were sold a faster connection to improve your WiFi speeds that should not have been done. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Original Speed test was over wifi and has been very intermittent over the last few months.

Just tried wired and it’s 98mbps at the moment. It Seems to still be capped at the old package speed of 100mbps

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Go to the Hub your browser, 192.168.0.1.  Clisck on Check Router Status, then Configuration.  Copy what that says, and paste it into a reply here.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Svengps wrote:

98mb sounds very like something is capped at 10/100 on the device.   Even on 100 tier you should get just over 100mb.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So an update, the speed is now uncapped but extremely intermittent in getting anywhere near 200mbps

Attached is a screenshot of Speedtest over the last few weeks. Generally during the Daytime I’m getting much lower than expected (even with daytime congestion). I live in a well connected urban area so expected better results. Seems to have gotten worse over last number of months.

F98983EA-5FE9-42EE-9542-98505803DD46.png

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It looks like you have done those tests over WiFi. WiFi speeds are always variable and not guaranteed.

What speeds do you get with a wired device? 

- jpeg1

Hi Svengps,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you aren't getting your expected speeds since changing from 100 to 200mb, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and it looks like the Hub has not been rebooted since your upgrade, as you are also using a 3rd party Router there is only so much we can check. Please put our Router back in Modem mode and do a speed test with a wired connection, please make sure the device you are using has a gigabit ethernet card and you are using a Cat 6 or above cable, you will only get the speed the device is able to run ay.

Regards

Paul.