cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from 200mbps to 500mbps and not getting it

Fourqtwo
Joining in

I recently upgraded to the 500mb from 200mb, via Wi-Fi doing a speed test I get an average of 510mb download but, I appear to have an issue with a wired connection using a cat 6 cable the best download speed is 91.6mb I have had an engineer come out and it works fine for a couple of days.

Because I was having issues with Sky Glass saying I’m not connected to the internet and having run various tests along with hub reboot and a hard reset none of which solved the problem.

Yesterday due to Glass going offline again I called Virgin I explained that via Wi-Fi I get the published speed but any device connected via a cat 6 such as my laptop to run a speed test or Sky Glass struggle to get more than 90mb download speed. Her response was that there was an issue in my area and it would be fixed in 24hrs, I am struggling to understand how Wi-Fi can be perfect but a direct connection to my Hub 3 is no working also, if I run the Virgin speed test I get a massage saying we see you are unable to get online when I am.

Can anyone help shed any light on what might be the issue it’s now over the 24hrs and internet is still faster on Wi-Fi that Ethernet cable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

You should access your HUB on 192.168.0.1, log in, then check the 'Connected Devices' section on the left hand side.

This will show all the devices, wired and wireless, and their 'Speed (Mbps)' they are connected to the HUB.

I suspect they are connecting at 100Mbps, hence the limit of around 90Mbps.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Fourqtwo 

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team, it's great to have you here. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been facing these issues with your services, we have moved your post to its own thread so we can look into this fully with you. 

I have checked on our side and I can see that the speed to the hub is as we would expect. Have you been able to try another Ethernet cable at all?

Thank you. 

Thanks for your reply I have tried 3 new cat 6 Ethernet cables and it makes no difference.

carl_pearce
Community elder

You should access your HUB on 192.168.0.1, log in, then check the 'Connected Devices' section on the left hand side.

This will show all the devices, wired and wireless, and their 'Speed (Mbps)' they are connected to the HUB.

I suspect they are connecting at 100Mbps, hence the limit of around 90Mbps.

@carl_pearce Thanks for your very helpful reply which was spot on. It is disappointing that when contacting virgin support over the phone that I’m told there’s an issue that will be fixed in 24hrs related to Ethernet connections and, even more so with Sky support obviously not knowing their products and blaming issues on the internet provider / connection.

nigel465
Just joined

its not BB its SKY Glass, I had the same problem, Engineers came still drop out, I sent My Sky Glass Back

its not ready for the public yet

nigel

As it happens I have done the same, returned my Glass TV and bought a Samsung 4K QLED and have Virgin TV now. Totally agree Glass not fit for purpose.