Menu
roblowe84
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade?

Hi there,

I just had an engineer fix a fault and he was niice enough to let me know that 500mbps speeds are available. He tried himself to help get it for me but was sent to a few departments. So he advised me to ring up customer services. I spoke to a virgin media rep and i was told after about 10 min that they could not upgrade my speed unless i buy tthe ultimate bundle ie phone tv broadband. My Simple question is. You have a service available and why can u not upgrade a very loyal customer to 500mbps? Tv is a dying thing and peopleonly watch online entertainment now. so pplease explain why? Thank you.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade?

Its a special intro deal. They will roll it out to all at a future date when they figure out how much customers will pay for it.

Lot of discussion on it here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Where-will-500-Mbps-roll-out-first/td-p/3951176

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade?

Of course, if enough people DON'T pay for it as an upgrade, then VM will eventually roll out progressive free speed upgrades because the slow but growing Openreach FTTP coverage will introduce a credible competitive threat.  That's what they've done before, and its what I'd do in their place. 

They don't have to give away anything yet but the 350 speed is looking a good bet for offering to 200 Mbps customers in customer segments and service areas where Openreach can or will soon offer around 300 Mbps.  Even then, I wouldn't offer it to everybody - as regulation is weak, I'd only offer the free upgrade to customers segmented as likely to move.  

Virgin Media's business model is high marketing-high churn, using the claim of the highest broadband speeds readily available in their footprint, heavily cross-selling the VM TV packages, and using customer changes or upgrades (paid or "free") to keep as much of the customer base locked into contracts as possible.  That's why customer service is crap - VM simply are not attempting to differentiate on that, and as the impact of poor service falls mostly on customers, they couldn't care less.  With weak telecoms regulation that trails both market and technology by a decade or more, there's no reason to do anything different - and likewise thanks to the weak regulation, they're enthusiastically selling customers speed packages that they know most will never fully utilise.

0 Kudos