cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

darksidesleep
Joining in

I just upgraded from 100mb to 350mb (Monday) I've had the email to say the order has been processed and my account now show my BB as 350mb.  However, I'm still only getting 110mb down, hard wired and wireless.  Read a few posts on this forum so I reset my SH3 (held the button for 30 secs) and it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone advise?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MatthewS1993
Dialled in

Needs a activation hit sent to it, call centre should be able to sort for you. 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

MatthewS1993
Dialled in

Needs a activation hit sent to it, call centre should be able to sort for you. 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Brilliant, many thanks for your reply. 

Any idea how I get through to call centre staff? Every time I ring about BB issues they automatically reset my SH3, send me a text and hang up.

Nevermind I got through thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it working at the higher speeds yet?

Look in the Hub settings for the "Configuration Data" and look in the... Downstream "Max Data Transfer Rate" box and see what number is in there - its in bps (not Mbps) - it should start 405nnnnnnn on the 350 package - or 1nnnnnnnn if still on the 100 package

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

so after 40 minutes on the phone they couldn't get the hit to activate, then they put the SH3 back in "router" mode and sent the hit, then I had no internet. Pin hole reset and it worked fine, max speeds on wifi and ethernet.  They told me I could put it back in modem mode it it would continue to work. Took 3 pin hole resets just to get it back into modem mode, finally got back to modem mode and my download speeds are once again lower than on 100mb.  

Config data shows I'm on 350 mb but none of my hard wired clients can get over 90 mb I'm going to have to phone back another day because in modem mode I only get 150 mb on wireless clients.  The "proper router" I'm using is the asus AX86u and there's definitely nothing wrong with that.

thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - you are now on 350 but getting sub 100 on wired connections.

That's always suspicious that... the ethernet cable you are using is not capable of getting above that - old Cat5 ones are not specced to go above ~100 - or newer Cat5e/6 ones can and do "fail" and default back to low speeds. So have you tried a new Cat6a cable? Or the wired device you are testing on only has a 10/100 NIC card - what are the specs on yours? Or if it is a 1GB capable device - has it somehow set itself at 100 rather than 1GB (check in the settings) - also make sure the drivers are up to date.

Also, test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

Finally check that the Asus hasn't got some QoS setting activated that might limit connection speeds/bandwidth for certain devices/connections.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi again,  the cables are cat 5e and I got 390mb down when wired into the superhub before I put it in modem mode.  No QoS in place and same results on samknows 94mb.  Lan port in 2.5gbps on motherboard.  I'm going to connect my main pc direct to the the superhub in modem mode and test it that way but I probably can't do this until after boxing day now.  I'll also try removing the asus router from the network and using the SH in router mode, although I need a VPN server and to be able to assign IP addresses. I will report back once I've had chance to test these things.

Many thanks for your support and Merry Christmas.

When connected direct from PC to SH3 in modem only mode I still only get 95 mb down on samknows.  This rules out the asus router as the problem, to summarise I get 390mb down in router mode but only 95mb down in modem mode.  Any suggestions?

TIA

Hi darksidesleep

Thanks for the information in your post

Sorry the speeds are not what they should be after the upgrade 

How are things looking today?

Gareth_L