Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to M200 and Multiple Devices

Hi All

My present package is M100 which has been more that enough for my use but over last 3 years in my desire to convert to a smart home, I hadn't realised just how many devices have gradually crept up.  After installing a Ring Doorbell 3 last week, I counted 12 devices !! My devices are now struggling a bit I think. I was thinking of upgrading to M200 package. 

I will be grateful for some advice on the following questions :

1. Will upgrading to M200 help matters or am I better off getting a mesh system or both?

2. The M200 upgrade is £5.50 extra but it says 1 month contract.  What does that mean?  Does it mean I can come out of it by giving just one month's notice or something else?

Many thanks, stay safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to M200 and Multiple Devices

What do you mean by "struggling". 12 devices is getting up a bit... but its unlikely that all 12 are actually connecting simultaneously and being affected by a "bandwith limit". What are your devices actually doing (gaming, browsing, streaming TV, etc...).

And how many are on wifi and how many on ethernet cables, and is it just wifi ones that struggle ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Sorry for the delay. No, no gaming at all.  Streaming and browsing are the main activities.  I have 5 Echo Show devices, 2 smart TVs (one connected by ethernet cable), 2 mobile phones, 2 tablets, 1 indoor security camera and a Ring Video Doorbell. I thought the same as you that most of these devices are not really sucking much bandwidth when just connected to wifi but Virgin Support told me different. By struggling I mean delayed notification from Ring Doorbell (mind you it's wifi may be rubbish), iPad struggling to load pages only upstairs (perhaps 20 feet as the crow flies from the router downstairs) etc. I am planning to to install a wifi outdoor security camera and a smart alarm system but worried whether they will work efficiently given my present wifi woes.  Something tells tells just upgrading to M200 is not the answer.

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shapla,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Disappointing to hear your having issues with our internet services, we appreciate the frustration caused when things are not working ad they should.

Looking remotely from our end with the details you have provided for your community profile we cannot see any issues with your services. All power levels are within specification and there are no area faults.

As you advised the issues are with WiFi connection we would advise you to try WiFi boosters to help improve the range within your property. Dependent on what package you have with us you may be eligible for our WiFi boosters.

You can download our Connect App and this allows you to see where the black spots are in your property and you can also order boosters through here.

You can use the link here for more help with WiFi connection and trouble shooting.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I can see how the OP might think devices are important.  Virgin media pages say that M100 is for 5-9 devices and M200 is for 10+ devices.

So I am sure some people see that and think they need to upgrade.  Blame VM adverts and sales staff for making such a blatant lie.

Some people might need the 500 meg service for one device, others might need only the 50 meg service for 100 devices.

The OP is correct that the M200 upgrade is likely a waste of space.  The issues your getting sound like a poor WiFi connection.  What Hub version do you have?  WiFi can be hindered by a lot of things from placement of the (Virgin Media Hub)/router to the design of your home.  If your Hub is shoved in a corner behind some books then moving it out into the open might help a lot.  Most people would suggest getting a good quality router as being your best option.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos