cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Speed not 1Gig

chris2309
Joining in

Hi,

I upgraded back in february, but only now realising my achieved speed at present is 518mps

Is there something I should be doing with my router settings to be able to achieve these speeds

Used the samknow site as seen suggested on other questions

chris2309_0-1653419482172.png

Any help greatly appreciated

Thank you 

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How is the speed to the PC being measured - over wifi or ethernet cable connections?

On wifi you will never get more than ~600.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

richard-john56
Tuning in

Hi

I use this to check my broadband speed.

https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

Have you contacted customer services.

Hi mate

thank you for quick response 

measured over wifi 

thank you 

Hi,

thank you for reply 

no I have not contacted customer services, I don’t like waiting on the phone For hours! 

using your speed checker, via phone this time 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub is only wifi5 so the maximum speed it will deliver to one device is <600.

On two devices simultaneously they wiill both get ~500 each (max) or ~330 on 3 devices - etc.

If you want faster wifi - you need to get yourself a Wif6 wireless router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

that explains it for me then, so no issues. I only use wifi, do virgin have somewhere to purchase the hub6 do you know? 

thank you for quick replies 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Short answer is no.... but their Hub5 is wifi6. But it is still not on general release yet - it is by invitation only to non-1GB customers at the moment whilst glitches are being idenified and ironed out.

So you can wait an indefinite time for that to happen (supply issues from China notwithstanding) or bite the bullet and get your own wifi6 router - good introductory models can now be had for <£100

Here is one for example.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX53U-Wireless-Router-AiProtection/dp/B09BZLRQPY/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John 

that’s great thank you very much 

more more question if I buy this, do I just plug it into one of the ports on the hub4 ? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You follow this sequence for any router you get,,,,,,,

Switch on and connect the router to the Hub and in the new router settings - set it up to have the WAN port set to be in "Automatic IP" i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway.

Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

... and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Leave 5' or so and when it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off and ethernet disconnected.

Switch your new router on again and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable (use a good Cat6a one for better shielding fron interference) from its WAN port into the VM hub (any port will work).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically. Or use the new ones on all devices

--------------------
John
--------------------