cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted upgrade !

jjphoto
Tuning in

My broadband speed is pretty poor at the moment and Ive just seen that without me asking / contacting Virgin I have been "upraded to the M350 broadband.  I never asked for any upgrade infact at the moment my internet speeds seem to have dropped right down.

Anyone else been given an unwated upgrade which has made the service worse ?

John James

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a reset of the Hub first

----------------------------------

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jjphoto

Welcome back to the community!
Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your service at this time and that an upgrade as been put through without your request.

Can I ask if you have maybe applied for Volt benefits? If you are an O2 customer and have applied for Volt benefits, you get a speed increase applied to your Virgin Media broadband service. 

Regarding your poor speeds, does this affect your wired devices or is it just a speed issue on your WiFi connection? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S,  thank you for your advice.

No, I didn't ask for the upgrade, I don't get Volt benefits and I use EE mobile.  I just had an email from Virgin saying they had increased my connection speed and there would be an increase in the monthly cost.  I was quite happy with my existing speed,  not happy with the £60 odd per month it was costing (includes telephone land line).  Now I think it's increased to nearly £70 per month.  I've been with Virgin from the start for internet & phone,  I was Telewest before they were taken over by Virgin.  I could do with reducing my monthly bill like so many people need to with the cost of everything increasing.  My wife and I are in our 70's so we need to watch the pennies.

The speed does seem to have settled down now.  I use my desktop wired to the router.

I've tried phoning with no luck getting through.

thanks,  John James

Hi jjphoto

Thanks for coming back to us. I am glad to hear the speed has settled. 

Relating your account package price, please give us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111. You can also send us a text on 07533051809 and we can assist further. Text replies are not instant and are automated at the start to get you through to the right team. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

kenstevens66
Tuning in

Also have unwanted upgrade , seems a pattern going on here , just don’t need upgrade as am leaving 

kenstevens66
Tuning in

Is this a way to force you into a new contract

In case of a new contract - whether you requested it or not - you have 14 days to cancel it.  In your place I'd phone Customer Service and select the menu options for 'Thinking of leaving us'. Tell them you must be returned to the previous contract and price. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi there @kevsteven66

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened and thank you for your post and welcome back to the forums. 

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the confusion here. From a system check, there's no change per se, however, sometimes customers are on old bundles with old codes we need to change. If we do this, it's not a price change just a coding change.

Then say, I am sorry again for the confusion though. To discuss a disconnection, please call us on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and we can assist further.

Thanks again,.