Menu
Pelican
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Unusable wifi with Hub3

Hi

Trying to help a friend who's got unusable wifi with her Hub 3, even when standing right next to her router. She's NHS staff and has been unable to get through to VM on the phone.

We've tried changing the channel on her wifi, but that didn't help. I remember when I had my hub 3 on "router" mode (not modem-only) the frequency was set to 20/40, so we tried that too, but that didn't even give enough bandwidth to use any video conferencing software. She's trying to home-school and although paying for high speed broadband isn't getting enough bandwidth to allow anyone to be online at the same time as 1 child, and even that's not a good connection.

She did get through to VM a couple of times on the phone and someone made some changes to her Hub3, supposedly, but she's not technically minded and doesn't know what they did, but has been unable to get through since. She's on the verge of leaving VM, but I am sure there must be a simple solution to this.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unusable wifi with Hub3

May I suggest that you download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals and where there are poor signal strengths..

From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Pelican
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. That's the first thing I asked her to do, but she was unable to even download that onto her laptop due to slow speeds. Waiting for her to do it on her phone.

However, in the absence of this data we tried setting the 2.4GHz to channel 1, then channel 6, then channel 13, and none of them were any better than the original "auto" option.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It is pointless guessing at which channels to use.

A lot of the time apart from other broadcasts it is also the structure of the premises that is a problem, but that will be shown as weak signal in different parts of the home.

Some things that interfere will not shown on an analyser.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home environment …

Blockage (visible) …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls, flooring / ceilings.

Interference (invisible) …

Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

My VM Hub 3 Wi-Fi went into meltdown when the local authority / police CCTV camera on the lamppost adjacent to my house was used.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Pelican
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. I'm waiting for her "Wifi analyser" info, and will send it asap! 

Her Wifi is exceedingly poor next to the router, let alone in the rest of her house. Have asked her to move the router away from all possible sources of interference, and re-connect the cables to make sure they are firm.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

She also needs to check that the WAN is to contract by doing a speed test at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

0 Kudos
Pelican
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, but she doesn't have an ethernet cable or an ethernet-port on her laptop.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Pelican wrote:

Thanks Mike, but she doesn't have an ethernet cable or an ethernet-port on her laptop.

It's worth the £16 to buy a USB to ethernet adapter and ethernet cable for troubleshooting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rankie-Network-Adapter-Gigabit-Black/dp/B010SEARPU 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-Booted-Unshielded-Network-Patch-Black/dp/B001U3ZRIG 

0 Kudos
Pelican
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. I'll see what she says, but tbh she's that fed up with VM she'd rather swap providers than spend money on something when the internet should just work! As NHS staff, she's got more than enough on her plate. She's also not confident to do this on her own as she HATES tech!

If it wasn't lockdown I could go round and test it for her with my own gear, but sadly only tradespeople can do that. Awaiting her response with the wifi analyser, if she hasn't given up on VM already!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just get a simple wireless router with 1Gb ports better then the hub and out the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos