cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable upload speeds on Gig1

spider-boy
Joining in

For the past week after having a new connection installed after moving house (which took a month to finally get installed) I'm lucky to get more than 12mpbs upload speed. Today specifically it's barely been able to reach 1mpbs. On the very rare occasion I will see around 48mpbs, but it's not stable and will drop after a few minutes.

I've done lots of testing with ethernet, WiFi, different computers, various devices, different settings, resetting the hub, pinhole resetting the hub, etc. Nothing makes a difference.

As a streamer that makes fairly decent money for doing it part time this is now directly affecting my income. I can't reach anyone on Virgin online chat (If the help pages even let you get that far) and I can't reach anyone when I phone. So this is my last ditch effort of getting some help before I cancel my package altogether.

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Upstream QAM's are all over the place - usually means noise ingress. Will need a Tech visit to investigate

But check if that known issue is not fixed -  Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

For qam dropping - see message 3 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Regular-Intermittent-Upstream-dropouts/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Appreciate the reply John.

Both the online and phone service checks are saying no issues.

Reading through that other thread honestly makes me want to cancel, move to a lower speed but stable service and just wait for Toob to become available (which isn't far off from where I am) I'm already tired of this fight every day. Serenaya's original post really does mirror my issues, the difference seems to be that my problem is constant rather than intermittent.

This made me laugh.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/book-an-engineer
"Booking an engineer is easy with Virgin Media."

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I apologise for the delay in response here. 

Thank you for posting the information above. After looking at our systems I can see that there is an SNR issue in your area - which will be the cause of the issue you're having. I am sorry that this is the case and I assure you the team are aware and are working hard to fix this. There is a ticket already raised and the reference to that is F010298506 the ETA on this is tomorrow at 9AM. We wouldn't be able to book a technician in this time because the fault would over ride the appointment, due to the issue being but to the SNR issue. 

If you pop back tomorrow we would be able to check again for you to see if there has been any change. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

New upstream stats as of 4pm today. No improvement to my speeds

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

143100000445120 KSym/sec64QAM2
22360000042.55120 KSym/sec16QAM5
34960000044.55120 KSym/sec32QAM1
430100000435120 KSym/sec32QAM4
53660000043.85120 KSym/sec64QAM3

Hi spider-boy, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the speed. 

I cannot see an issue with this and would ask that you send us a broadband quality monitor here

Please let us know the results?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Sorry are you telling me that having 16QAM and 32QAM is normal? Every post with similar issues across the forum would say otherwise. A previous team member has also said there is an issue that's being worked on in my area, so what's the truth?

Here's my monitor that's been running since my connection went live at my new house and has looked consistently like this. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0e08ac5f79eae90c6fc0b55fd4e97104e8...

Hey spider-boy, thank you for sending this BQM over.

I would like to look into this in more details for you, I am going to send you a PM.

Please do look out for the purple envelope, Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?