cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable ping

coconutstraw
Joining in

Hi,

My connection has been poor for several months.  My ping is extremely unstable which makes online gaming of any kind impossible.

Live BQM: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bad2fa216a3fbdbc87aa3e35832ba34d2e88ff24

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
lots of people taking up streaming game play along with normal traffic that Docsis is not QoS/BWM the line to be stable for all given the limited bandwidth in upstream.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello coconutstraw

Sorry to hear of the service issues experienced regarding your broadband, we appreciate the frustration and you raising this via the forums.

Do you experience the issues across all or specific games? Are these online multiplayer games? We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

We do have the Connect App https://virg.in/connectapp that will allow you to scan your property to optimise the wireless network and if needed order pod's. Depending on your package these may be free but any package is eligible for these if needed.

Rob

Hi,

The issue occurs in all online multiplayer games. I'm using a wired connection. Speed test results are fine, but the issue is with a wildly fluctuating ping at very frequent intervals as shown in the BQM I linked, which a speed test can't really pick up on. I'm suspecting that it's a case of overutilisation in my area.

@legacy1 wrote:
lots of people taking up streaming game play along with normal traffic that Docsis is not QoS/BWM the line to be stable for all given the limited bandwidth in upstream.

Could you try that again but in English, please? 

@coconutstraw wrote:

Hi,

The issue occurs in all online multiplayer games. I'm using a wired connection. Speed test results are fine, but the issue is with a wildly fluctuating ping at very frequent intervals as shown in the BQM I linked, which a speed test can't really pick up on. I'm suspecting that it's a case of overutilisation in my area.

Yup. Looks pretty clear from the BQM. Gets worse at peak times, abates off-peak and is about right in the middle of the night. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@IPFreely wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

Could you try that again but in English, please? 

Looks fine to me.🤔

Thanks for coming back to us @coconutstraw.

I've been able to locate your hub and can see this has an uptime of 42 days.

Are you possibly able to complete a basic reboot on the hub to see if this will improve the connection?

Please keep the BQM running and report back to us - 24 hours after the reboot has been performed.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@David_Bn wrote:

I've been able to locate your hub and can see this has an uptime of 42 days.

Wow so next to nothing my hub is up for 143days or is it a case that hub are getting worse?