cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable/Loss of Connection every time it rains

Ketsuekiame
On our wavelength

Can someone *please* some out and look at the cabinets or something (leaking perhaps)?

Every time we (the entire street of VM customers) get rain the connection becomes unstable, or just shuts off completely for several hours for the entire street, whilst VM support says "there's nothing wrong", followed an hour later by "we know of a loss of service", and then 4 hours later it's working again with an engineer scheduled to visit the day after.

We have to plan our work meetings around the *weather forecast* because we may or may not have a connection that day. It's 2021 for crying out loud, I shouldn't have to plan my internet useage around the weather.

To preempt your questions; it's a wired Ethernet connection. Yes I've rebooted it. The coax runs under the house. The problem isn't isolated to myself or my house (we are a series of semi-detached buildings on a steep hill). There is no localised flooding *on the street* because of the gradient.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bcf7763bcaf32c0203a670b6b29b29136b323a14

TBB BQM link above

6 REPLIES 6

Ketsuekiame
On our wavelength
Also, we're area 22, but I think that's covers a much bigger area than actually where this problem is.

We are the same. It rains and there are issues. Also area 22. Service status says all OK but run network diagnostics points out interference on the line. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I had the exact same issue many moon ago.  Turns out it was a Cab that was less than watertight and had more holes than a colander !  Once it was identified and made good, the issues have not returned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ketsuekiame,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you seem to have issues with your connectivity whenever it rains. As our cables run underground, the weather shouldn't have any impact on your services. Do you happen to know if the Omni box outside of the property is exposed or the cabinet that you're connected to?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hello, given that it's not limited to just myself I'm not entirely sure the problem would be constrained purely to my box. However, it is damaged and held together by a black cable-tie. The green cabinet on the street looks fine (if not slightly rusted around the edges) from the cursory glance I can give it, however, I may be looking at the wrong thing entirely. I guessed it was the VM cabinet because it has a grate cover that says "NTL Cable & Wireless" in front of it.

For the record, this issue affects at least 3 other households on the street. I'm not sure that any interference from a single household would cause a problem on the others would it?

I would also like to mention that the brown box in front of the house has been in this condition since I moved in here. I asked the engineer who once came to look at a signal problem who declared that "it was fine". Turned out the signal problem was caused by a splitter attenuator fitted to the cable underneath the house.

Hi @Ketsuekiame,

Thank you for expanding. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so that we can take some additional details and have a closer look at this.

Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!