cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable and slow. Intermittent no landline.

Fishman81
Joining in

I have the M100 package with landline. The speed here is typically 30Mbps so only 30% of its rated speed. We lose internet completely 3 or 4 times a week. To be clear this isn't WiFi related as rebooting the hub 3 makes no difference or of it does the broadband will work for 20mins or so before failing again. I run the hub in modem mode and use a third party router.

I contacted VM about the slow speeds and unreliable service. The connection was put under investigation by OFCOM and it was verified that the speeds were poor. It was explained that VM could do nothing about it and I could have a £5 discount. I actually wanted it fixed!! Speaking to neighbours they have had similar experiences and have all moved to different suppliers.l

This has now moved on and we have intermittently been losing the dialing tone on our home phone. 

Please fix it!

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did they say what the issue was? It sounds like it could be an overutilistaion issue.

Set up a BQM as per below as it will be evident on there if it is. OU issues can take a long time to sort out see Andrew's comment in message 20 of this thread...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Fishman81,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your broadband and now landline. 

In regards to the landline issue, can you confirm if you have been able to try a new handset on the line? Or try your existing handset on someone else's line? 

Also how intermittent is the drop of dialing tone? 

^Martin