cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable VM broadband - poor internet access despite paying for high speed

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Hi Everyone

Not very technical but have managed to take an image of hub status.  Any clues what's going wrong? Can't use remote access for work ATM.  That's all been checked and nothing wrong work-end so it must be my home set up. Thanks Caz

IMG_3034.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Hi

I called 150.  There is high utilisation in our area.  VM engineers on it but won’t have issue fixed til 30 June.  I’m pretty unhappy as the unreliable internet is causing my remote connection to work PC to drop out.  Have complained.  Also unhappy VM service status has been showing normal throughout when it clearly isn’t normal. Is this sort of issue normal for VM?  What is high utilisation?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
High utilisation means that VM have got more users that the equipment can cope with. Dont ask how that could happen !! Bottom line is they can be sorted quickly as usage drops off or may take months or years if they need to upgrade the equipment. Not a good place to be. See this older thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 4

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

lotharmat
Community elder
Can you post up the data from all the tabs as Text please

Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Hi

I called 150.  There is high utilisation in our area.  VM engineers on it but won’t have issue fixed til 30 June.  I’m pretty unhappy as the unreliable internet is causing my remote connection to work PC to drop out.  Have complained.  Also unhappy VM service status has been showing normal throughout when it clearly isn’t normal. Is this sort of issue normal for VM?  What is high utilisation?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
High utilisation means that VM have got more users that the equipment can cope with. Dont ask how that could happen !! Bottom line is they can be sorted quickly as usage drops off or may take months or years if they need to upgrade the equipment. Not a good place to be. See this older thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 4

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Thanks. That’s an interesting thread.

Oh dear.  I do hope VM stick to the estimated date of repair.  We can’t leave VM even if they offer us cancellation because my husband’s (work) email address is an ntlworld.com one.  Effectively we are tied.  Something the Competition and Markets Authority should address as it is quite wrong there is no option for us to leave and keep the email address.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All you can do is keep checking as it may not be a "bad one" and a relatively straightforward fix.   Can you set up a BQM as per below and that will allow you (and us) to see how bad the OU issue is, and whether it does get fixed.

Re. the email address conundrum, it might be worth asking in the Broadband > Email forum whether there are any suggestions/options that might work to circumvent the issue. But I think you are right in that if you leave VM then ntlworld.com email addresses will go too

Set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Hi All

Our woes continue.  Still getting less than 5 mbps when we pay for 350 mbps.  VM say repair in our area is now scheduled to be completed by 14 July, not 30 June they told us, having originally said it would be fixed on 16 June. Had system thoroughly remote checked by Which IT support who confirmed our speed issue is with VM.  They suggested we ask for a Hub 4 which seems like a good plan though not one that will solve our immediate issues.

Utterly disillusioned with VM.  Even crosser as we can’t leave because our 20 year old email addresses are with them.  They are used for work purposes so we can’t risk losing business contacts.

The VM service status is still saying no known issues so that’s clearly ineffective. I have rung VM multiple times and all I get from them is an email saying they have apologised and my complaint has been resolved.  It hasn’t and won’t be til the speed goes back to what I pay for.   Breach of contract VM? Certainly wouldn’t advise anyone else to subscribe to them.

If it utilisation - expect the 14th July to be pushed back.

Only way out of this is to complain to CISAS:

"If your communications provider is unable to agree with you on a mutually acceptable resolution to your complaint, and no further proposals are forthcoming, you may receive a letter or email from them with the title ‘deadlock letter’ or ‘final response’. This will tell you that they will not be able to put forward any further proposals and will tell you that you can apply to CISAS if you wish."

Your complaint to VM would be that they are unable to supply services in a competent manner by allowing the over-utilisation!

The resolution you want is to be allowed to leave without financial penalty - VM will disagree and you will have a deadlock - then you go to CISAS

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Thanks, that’s helpful.  Will bear in mind. Can’t believe VM are treating us this way when we have been loyal customers for over 20 years and most of that time have had high cost packages.  Don’t they want us anymore as customers..

We still have the issue we can’t leave VM because of work emails.

VM where are you, don’t you read these postings?

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, Cazbro,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connections issues with your broadband. I've run some remote diagnostics on your connections, and iI can confirm that you are currently being affected by a local area fault which is capacity issues ref#F008525926 and we are working to get this sorted as quickly as possible. The current ETA fix time is 14 JUL 2021 10:00. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Corey C