cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under performing

Scaffscaff
Joining in

I have the hub 3 in modem mode and I use the orbi wifi 6 mesh system ( latest version) 

The orbi system checks what speed is coming into the property ...... fastest I have gotten is 46mbps.

If I am paying for 200 why am I getting no where near the speeds coming Into the property ?

You are basically telling lies and taking money under false pretense !! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
Connect a laptop to the hub in modem mode and do a speed test from there! You may need to reboot the hub but you'd need to rule out the orbi first.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

lotharmat
Community elder
Connect a laptop to the hub in modem mode and do a speed test from there! You may need to reboot the hub but you'd need to rule out the orbi first.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you have the Hub in modem mode and connected to the Orbi which is set to DHCP. Or are you using "access" or "bridge" mode on the Orbi.

Speeds being limited to <100 might be due to a "bad" ethernet cable connection between them. Change to a new Cat6a cable and see if it improves.

Test as Iotharmat say too

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Scaffscaff wrote:

The orbi system checks what speed is coming into the property .....

No it doesn't.  It can only tell what speed it is receiving at its own input.

That MAY be the same, but until you measure the speed correctly you will not know.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Already dis a test a still not getting anywhere close to what I'm paying for from virgin . 

Checked the ethernet cable and it's cat6 

The orbi is set ( not sure if it can be changed ) to dhcp .

The other day I did a full reboot of both the hub and orbi and for a few minutes I was getting speeds of over 200mbps. 4 maybe 5 minutes later the speeds were back down to around 46mbps . 

When I say I did a test , it was through my lap top !  Same speed as what the orbi was saying 

Could be a wifi issue, but the Orbis are decent kit and should work well, so without presuming too much it may still be worth checking out your hub's status data.  Pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Scaffscaff,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issues here on our forums.

I'm really sorry that you're having connection issues right now. Have there been any improvements in your services since you last posted?

Please could you also setup a broadband quality monitor using this link here, this will help us determine what the issues are with your connection.

Regards,

Steven_L

So since I last posted I have bought a new cable even though the last one was cat6 . Did another check on on the speeds via the router using my laptop and my speeds have actually gotten worse !! 

Today I had upload of 16mbps and download of 13mbps . 

I am going to get an engineer out from virgin because its just not acceptable