cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable upload speeds

cauz88
Tuning in

Hi

I’ve been a virgin media customer since Blueyonder days - when there are issues, it’s a pain but more of the time my experience has been fine.

for the past 3 weeks I’ve been experiencing unacceptable upload speeds.

I often connect back via RDP and port forwarding to my home machine, one day I noticed that my connectivity in this scenario was bad but didn’t think anything of it.

3 weeks later.... it appears that this was just the start of my issues.

I did a speed test;

from my desktop:

download - 300-500mbps depending on time of the day - traffic policies - GOOD

upload - less than 1mb consistently often sits at 0.3.

I work from home, 0.3 upload basically means I cannot participate in voice/video calls and many other services that are upload dependent.

I have a strong, 17 year IT background, not at the service provider level but I have a good understanding of networking (CCNP) and there aren’t any basics causing this. 

ive tried a Desktop in safe mode with networking, tried a mobile connected via wifi - to rule out local NICs and cables etc.

I contacted the wonderful telephone support who couldn’t even put me through to the right department (I ended up at lost devices somehow)

ive had an engineer replace my hub 3.0 entirely

At this point, I’m happy to try anything - any suggestions? - I’m very close to closing my account with Virgin media.

13 REPLIES 13

Hi cauz88,

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. Checking our systems, I can see that there is a fault open that is affecting you. The details of that are here: 

• Fault reference number: F009643974
  • Estimated fix time: 14 MAR 2022 14:00
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

When did this issue first begin? 

as stated on my thread this has been happening for several weeks now.

if there was a known issue affecting me/my area; why did support send out an engineer and replace my hub? 

I appreciate the support but it feels like nobody knows what my actual issue is. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Your BQM show no packet loss what was you doing around 11am? uploading something?

Run a CMD with ping -t 194.168.4.100 and a speed test when you get to the upload testing and is low does your ping spike high?

If in router mode test with just PC with hub in modem mode and see if you get low upload speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response cauz88 and welcome back to the community!

With regard to the replacement of your hub, during that period you may have had certain readings etc. that could relate into replacing the router/sending a technician.

Area faults can be raised at various times and in this case may have been raised later if multiple customers are facing similar issues within the area.

From checking our service I can see that now the area fault has been cleared.

How is the service now?

Also are you able to post what @legacy1 has advised?

Thanks,

Kain