cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create an account and very slow speeds

Wetep
Tuning in

Hola!

I have been using Virgin for serveral years, I have always had great service. We have just moved to a new property and it had Virgin already installed (albeit a strange hooky cable hanging out of the wall). I have a very slow, unstable connection - 30-80mbps and 5-10% packet loss.

I have tried Virgin support, but I am stuck in a never ending loop of "reset your modem", "try a wired connection" and "run our test tool".

I cannot run the test tool because I am unable to create an account. Apparently I do not exist as a customer via my email and then when I use my account number and area reference to try and create an account it refuses to accept a password, despite stating its met the password policy. I have tried both the browser and the app.

As far as testing goes, everything is wired. Either through several switches and a router to the modem (I have <1ms of latency and 0% packet loss to my gateway) or wired straight into the router itself.

I really just need someone to test the line, establish something isnt quite right with it and send out an engineer or fix my broken account which might be the thing that is stopping virgin providing me with the 500mbps I pay for.

Please, wonderful community... what magic do you have for me? Or am I doomed to throw packets into the wind for ever?

Regards,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Wetep 

Try a different ethernet cable and/or port

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
can you post up details of your connection like this....

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey John,

Really appreciate the response. So, it turns out that when I drop the modem into router mode and use something like RealSpeed from SamKnows... the Virgin router is getting 500mbps.

Something is happening with my router, an Asus RT-Ac88U. The virgin AP is now in modem mode, ASUS router plugged in, via the WAN port with CAT 6 Ethernet. Yet, its only getting 50-90mbps. I have factory reset it, fiddle with QoS etc. No dice. I am really confused... as it was working fine at the old property and I like to think I know a thing or two about networking xD

Any suggestions now you have that info?

Regards,

Pete

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Wetep 

Try a different ethernet cable and/or port

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ah dude, partly... and both! I bought a batch of 15, short, CAT 6 ethernets. 2 of them are clearly broken. those were the two that I was using for testing. I just swapped the one out to manage the link between modem and router, found a good one... got the right speed to the router. Fab... but not from my switch thats connected to the ASUS router.

Done some port monitoring... the port on the switch I had chosen to connect myself too was rate limeted to 100M. By pure coincidence.

So, long anwer, a combination of both bad Eth and a missmanaged port.

Short answer, I love you.

Regards,

Pete

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Pete,

Thanks for the update. Pleased to see it's all working properly now.

Often some of the simplest things are overlooked. It was good thinking to check the speed on the switch as well.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.