cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP issues on SuperHub3 - collective thread

dinth
Dialled in

Hi. I decided to open a collective thread for UDP issues on SuperHub3, as it seems that many users are pestered by them, the impact is high and Virgin Media is not aware or fails to acknowledge the issue so far (they've been trying to fix my issues for a past year and nobody ever suggested that this has anything to do with UDP packets, until i found whats exactly the issue on my own).

This is the main thread for those issues was this one: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/My-350Mb-connection-is-throttled-to-10Mb/td-p/3953746/pag... but it was originally created over a year ago and has a slightly misleading title. 

What we know so far:

1. The issue only occurs on SuperHub3 (and reportedly on SuperHub4) modem. SuperHub2 users are not affected. 

2. The issue occurs if an app/service is using an UDP connection to the internet. Examples of such apps: BBC Iplayer app, most online games, Microsoft Teams, Skype, third party VoIP apps, all kinds of VPN apps, torrent download apps. 

3. All UDP connections are performing very badly on Superhub3 modem, but also whenever there's a significant UDP traffic passing through the modem, other, non-UDP internet connections are slowed down to crawling speeds.

4. Depending on an user, the reported slowdowns are to between 10Mbps and 2kbps (!) speed measured through Speedtest. At the same time ping times go up all the way to 2000+ ms and huge packet losses (sometimes over 40%) occur. In other words, even web browsing is not possible if there's a significant UDP traffic going on through modem. 

5. VM street level fixes do not fix the problem - i had a whole uplink cable between CATV manhole and Virgin Media cabinet replaced by VM and it has not fixed the issue.

6. Replacing a modem does not fix the problem either - replacement SuperHub3 modems also have same issue.

7. Here's how the issue looks like on ThinkBroadband/Speedtest with just 1Mbps of UDP traffic flowing through the modem:

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 19.17.25.png

It's really sad, that Virgin Media fails to acknowledge this problem, as hundreds, if not thousands of people may be severly affected by it. The advice VM is giving out to the users is unhelpful and sometimes harmful (I've been told i need to chase the walls in the newly refurbrished house to replace my VM cable and desperate to fix the problem I have done that). Just look how many threads are being open on this forum describing similar issues with apps using UDP connections. 

192 REPLIES 192

@AlexFinlay wrote:

How has anyone managed to get a hub 2 delivered?

waited for an hour on the phone to get an extremely rude respresntive tell me I cannot get 1 and then be extremely rude when I asked to make a complaint

HUCA - hang up call again. Have spent 7 hours this week on the phone to them. You might need to do some mild social engineering too.

Annoyingly, I'm no longer sure if this is my issue as I tried testing according to @fordy

Two cmd windows, one doing ping 192.168.0.1 and the other doing FOR /L %N IN () DO @nslookup 1.1.1.1

No effect.

just had to cancel - only joined last month so will dispute the cancellation fee

company is an absolute joke

PdAUK
On our wavelength

I'm likely to leave too, just waiting for FTTP to be switched on in my area. They've been laying cables but not ready for a few months.

Honestly the first guy on the phone was so rude it got me so angry

Retentions have just phoned me and magically they may have some super hub 2 stock - shocker

@AlexFinlay wrote:

Retentions have just phoned me and magically they may have some super hub 2 stock - shocker

Don't count your chickens yet, you won't believe this. I got someone to send me a Super Hub 2 yesterday. Guess what arrived 15 minutes ago?

A fourth Super Hub 3!

fordy
On our wavelength

Annoyingly, I'm no longer sure if this is my issue as I tried testing according to @fordy

Two cmd windows, one doing ping 192.168.0.1 and the other doing FOR /L %N IN () DO @nslookup 1.1.1.1

No effect.

Two big differences between us i think;

• You send way more UDP (Torrenting!) - i think thats why your charts might look much worse!
  • You're in router mode didn't you say, I was in modem only mode.  Router mode I hear is more tolerant so may not show the drops so easily (ie with the light DNS queries).

I'm not a windows guy, but isn't your script missing something?  Is it just doing nslookup 1.1.1.1, if so won't this be cached by the windows client on your PC, and not send out so many DNS requests?  Would need to be more like nslookup www.google.com 1.1.1.1?

fordy
On our wavelength

@jphobbs wrote:

@AlexFinlay wrote:

Don't count your chickens yet, you won't believe this. I got someone to send me a Super Hub 2 yesterday. Guess what arrived 15 minutes ago?

A fourth Super Hub 3!

Ahh exact same happened to me, engineer turned up with a SH3 and I had to reexplain the fault all over again, and then he went back off to find a SH2. 🙂

Persistence paid off in the end!  I too would go elsewhere in a heartbeat if someone else could do the speeds (reliably!!).

@fordy wrote:

Would need to be more like nslookup www.google.com 1.1.1.1?

Tried that too. No effect whatsoever.

I'm fortunate voafone gigafast works where Iive

if I get a hub 3 and not a hub 2 through friday I'm calling up to cancel for good tbh