Menu
Tinyhaz
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ticket Number F006995956 - Over Utilisation

Hello,

I live in the NE31 one area and recently moved to a new build estate and had no choice but to go with Virgin for broadband. Our whole estate is suffering from over utilisation and WIFI constantly drops out and I was told that there was a ticket raised and work would be complete by 13.03.2019.

We are still having problems and now a neighbour has been told by an engineer that ticket number F006995956 has been raised to again fix this.

When will get the truth? When will it be fixed and we get what we pay for? How can I check the progress of this ticket without having to phone India and be on the phone for 45 minutes?

I am dismayed at how Virgin Media treat its customers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ticket Number F006995956 - Over Utilisation

Many people think over utilisation can be cured just by "plugging another piece of kit in at the exchange". With cable services this is not the case. On BT line driven services your line goes individually back to the exchange. On DOCSIS cable your service is shared between everyone on your network section. To alleviate problems the area has to be re-segmented into smaller network sections. This involves work at the headend, in all the local cabinets & usually additional mains power supplies, which takes months.

VM should not be connecting people in over utilised areas, & I have been told many times that the practice of signing new customers in these areas stops until the issue is resolved. So I don't know what has happened in your case.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The date given is a revue date not a fix date, they decide if the over utilization is bad enough that they spend money to fix it, BT is always a choice though not always a good one

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ian-c
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tinyhaz wrote:

Hello,

I live in the NE31 one area and recently moved to a new build estate and had no choice but to go with Virgin for broadband. Our whole estate is suffering from over utilisation and WIFI constantly drops out and I was told that there was a ticket raised and work would be complete by 13.03.2019.

We are still having problems and now a neighbour has been told by an engineer that ticket number F006995956 has been raised to again fix this.

When will get the truth? When will it be fixed and we get what we pay for? How can I check the progress of this ticket without having to phone India and be on the phone for 45 minutes?

I am dismayed at how Virgin Media treat its customers.

Just to give you a heads up.... my area has suffered with over utilisation (slow peak time speeds) for over four years.
It was supposedly 'fixed' last month but tonight the speed test reveals 0.1 to 11mbps. I'm sincerely hoping it is just a blip.

When you  are given a fault reference, in relation to over utilisation, and a date... it is a REVIEW date NOT a fix date. Do not believe anyone on the phone who says it is a fix date.

Hopefully someone from the forum team will come along and offer you some additional information on the overutilization issue in your area.

------------------------------------------------------------
Customer since June 1994
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA
Contention reference "F002896495", - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening. Ongoing since March 2014.
After some network upgrading, fault reference became F004952644 with some improvement to evening speeds.
18 review dates. Last review February 2019
0 Kudos
Tinyhaz
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So I have been lied too again it’s appallimh how they get away with fraud. Wonder if anyone from Virgin Media will reply? I doubt it 

@nodrogd wrote:

Many people think over utilisation can be cured just by "plugging another piece of kit in at the exchange". With cable services this is not the case. On BT line driven services your line goes individually back to the exchange. On DOCSIS cable your service is shared between everyone on your network section. To alleviate problems the area has to be re-segmented into smaller network sections. This involves work at the headend, in all the local cabinets & usually additional mains power supplies, which takes months.

VM should not be connecting people in over utilised areas, & I have been told many times that the practice of signing new customers in these areas stops until the issue is resolved. So I don't know what has happened in your case.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tinyhaz wrote:

So I have been lied too again it’s appallimh how they get away with fraud. Wonder if anyone from Virgin Media will reply? I doubt it 

Quite frankly first line, especially phone support are technically clueless.  So they haven't actually lied to you, they genuinely done't understand that that these are review dates.

My comment should not be taken as a defence of Virgin Media though, quite frankly any support agents should be sufficiently clued up to know that any fix dates quoted on a support ticket are ESTIMATES and they should NEVER be promising that a fault will be definitely fixed on that date anyway.  Indeed when I had an SNR fault I pointed this out to the agent when he tried guaranteeing my problem would be fixed in a couple of days.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have Virgin Media compensated you for the over utilisation issue?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is no compensation. However, customers who don't get their minimum download speed guarantee for three consecutive days over a 30-day fault period can end their contract without penalty.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds.html

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger_Gooner

I have to advise that we do offer a form of credit for this issue.

If customers report that this is having an effect on their service, credit can be issued from the date it was reported to the end date of the utilisation.

The amount of money depends on the speed of your service and the credit amounts are Ofcom regulated. 

If anyone has high ultilisation, report it at the first possible opportunity and we'll apply a monthly credit until the issue is resolved.

David_Bn

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about the automatic compensation which starts about now. If a fault is not fully fixed after two full working days the compensation is £8 for each calendar day that the service is not repaired.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos