cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible upload speed since receiving new hub 3

derekrob89
Tuning in

Recently received a hub 3 to replace a very old hub 2.  No change in internet package. Previous hub 2 usually gave me full speeds as advertised for the M250 package. 

Since receiving the hub 3 my upload speeds have gone from 20+mb to 0.5 to 1mb. This is with the router in router mode, on both a hard wired or wifi connection. Double checked with different ethernet cables, different devices, hard reset the router, no change. 

Download speeds are always fine. 

Strangely, if I put the router in modem only mode and connect it directly to my pc with an ethernet cable, I will go back to achieving the full speed.  

At a bit of a loss on how to resolve this. 

Stats below. 

Thanks

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

14960000038.8512064 qam1
22360001939512064 qam5
33660000039512064 qam3
44310000038.8512064 qam2
53009983939512032 qam4

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0020
2ATDMA0000
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA0000
5ATDMA0000

8 REPLIES 8

derekrob89
Tuning in

Just as a comparison, set the hub to modem mode, and this is the speeds I am getting. 

No other changes, same ethernet cable, same port etc. Obviously this is fine for desktop, but it then stops me from using any of my other devices on wifi. So not a solution. So there is obviously something wrong with the hub when in router mode. 

@derekrob89 wrote:

Just as a comparison, set the hub to modem mode, and this is the speeds I am getting. 

No other changes, same ethernet cable, same port etc. Obviously this is fine for desktop, but it then stops me from using any of my other devices on wifi. So not a solution. So there is obviously something wrong with the hub when in router mode. 

But different WAN IP...but also the mode... Its going to be funny fixing this VM support router mode speed sucks go to modem mode its fine but what if you did use modem mode with a router where the MAC can not be changed and you get slow speed will VM fix that?

also crazy upload latency  when your in router mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Or something correcting to the Hub when it's in router mode is using all your upload speed.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@IPFreely wrote:

Or something correcting to the Hub when it's in router mode is using all your upload speed.

or like a DoS to some where

derekrob89
Tuning in

Thanks for your responses. 

I did do some checks to rule out a device on the network possibly overloading the upload bandwidth. 

Disconnected all devices, and tried with a couple different devices on their own, with nothing else connected to the router on either wired/wifi. The issue persisted. 

This morning I have borrowed a netgear wireless router from a family member. Set the hub to modem mode and checked directly hardwired to the pc, getting full upload speeds, 25mb+ consistent. 

Introduced the netgear router in between, and as soon as I did this, upload speed dropped back to 0.5mb. This is with the hub in modem mode, netgear router fed from hub, and pc connected to the router with ethernet. Same story with wifi devices when connected to the netgear router. Absolutely bizarre. After a lot of resetting, connecting, disconnecting restarting etc in every possible combination I could think of I gave up and had to travel into the office to get some work done. 

On return this evening, I did a quick speed test, and now my upload speed seems back to normal. No idea what happened in the few hours during the day I wasn't home, but it seems to have settled out. 

So for the interim, I appear to be getting around the situation using the hub in modem mode, with my own router providing the connection to my devices. 

Don't want to tempt fate, will keep an eye on it, but at least on face value it's working and this is an acceptable solution for me, at least in the interim. 

It's an older router but it's a decent one, Netgear X6 R8000 Nighthawk - It's putting out a considerably stronger wifi signal than the Hub 3 in router mode. 

Will update if things tail off again. 

Thanks

guess they messed up router mode not that they could do it to modem mode but seems like a good idea to have different mode without changing one for troubleshooting...might be for the best for VM to think about dual firmware option.

Yeah looks like it. I honestly dread every time Virgin send me new equipment or change things. 

In all the years I have been a customer I don't think I have ever had a smooth experience when receiving new equipment or services. I didn't even ask for a Hub 3 but they decided to send me one when I re-negotiated my contract/package last week, despite not making any upgrade to my internet speed. It was only TV I wanted to change. 

Oh well, fingers crossed it carries on working correctly!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"It's an older router but it's a decent one, Netgear X6 R8000 Nighthawk - It's putting out a considerably stronger wifi signal than the Hub 3 in router mode. " sounds like 2 tin cans and a bit of string would give better WiFi than a hub3.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2