cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible speed in Area 20

groundhog1
On our wavelength

I have had really slow broadband speeds for a few weeks now. When i check the Service Status it all comes back green however when i phoned the support number and they identified my postcode the automated message confirms there is an issue in my area. I have asked to receive text message updates on this issue but not received any. This has been going on a while now and i want to get back to normal. I am getting 12-15Mb speed on a good day during peak and as little as 2Mb for upload which is substantially worse than usual. Can someone confirm if this issue will be resolved soon please?

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

What message to you get on the status line 0800 561 0061 ?

What speed contract are you on?

What speeds do you get on a device wired to the Hub by ethernet cable?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, groundhog1,

Sorry to hear that you having connection and speed issues with your broadband. Has this improved since your post?  Can you confirm if this is on a wired or wireless connection?  I do not see any information regarding an area outage. However, we can check if there is a fault in the area, test the line, replace your equipment or book visits for you online, please click on the link here virg.in/service  

Let us know if you need further help. 

Cheers,

Corey C

i have tried 0800 561 0061 but it says there is no issue in my area. The problem is that my laptop which is connected wirelessly is incredibly sluggish however when I take the same laptop to a local cafe it runs absolutely fine, even though a speed test shows that the speed i'm getting in the cafe is actually slower than at home (approx 9Mbs, 0.5 upload).

The common denominator seems to be my home internet connection. (I am on a 50Mb contract)

All of a sudden it is working fine!

It's almost like connecting the laptop to another connection has 'refreshed' it somehow. Or it is just a complete coincidence that the problem has gone away this afternoon.

Thanks for your help.

How is your internet today? I'm also area 20 (Burgess Hill) and have been having upload speed issues for nearly three weeks now. Constantly pushed from pillar to post by Virgin. Had literally everything replaced (from the brown box and gubbins to a completely new fibre cable from the house to the cabinet) with no improvement. Can get anything from 30Mbps down to 0.05Mbps upload speed in a 24 hour day, with long periods at the lower end – making accessing a remote computer in the office completely impossible.

Keep being advised (by the engineer that first visited) that 'there is a noise issue in the area', desite the status page saying everything's good, and that 'it's being looked into', but it's been like this for nearly three weeks now and I've only been with Virgin for five weeks – so not a great start!!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
SpookyElectric1 - have you tried 0800 561 0061 does it report a more local fault for you.

Areas are geographically meaningless - I am Area 20 too - here in South Manchester, others in Bristol are too. So, for example, a local street cabinet taken down by a passing lorry - probably wont be reported on the "Area Page"

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ah okay, fair enough about the areas. Phoneline also states no (broadband) issues in my area and hasn't since the whole sorry upload issue started at the beginning of the month.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Atrocious-upload-speed/m-p/4786481#M276153

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - you piggybacked on someone else's thread. Post your own thread (if you havent) detailing the issues - otherwise groundhog1 will get email alerts when folks post here 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.