cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Internet - Contact Number

Dixson
Joining in

Hi, I’ve been struggling to get a decent internet speed for a couple of months now, I’m on the 1GB (£60) a month broadband plan. I’m only receiving 100ish Download and 32 upload.  

the reason the speed is important as I game & stream together, Absolutely nothing else in the house is connected to this internet, literally just the PC/PS5. Other home items are on our Sky internet. 

Ive tried everything, looked everywhere and can’t find a number to book an engineer to come around and correct this for me, if I have to pay to for one to come around that’s fine. I’d just like to receive the data that I’m paying for, or at least close to like was promised upon installation.  

If anyone could help in the slightest, that would be greatly appreciated  

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What make/model of PC is it - a Dell by any chance - with a Killer wifi card?

Can you check the speeds like this first.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures nothing else is connected. Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, thanks for the reply. 

Its actually a high end gaming laptop (pc just for laymen’s terms as didn’t think that would make a difference) Is a Modern up to date one, acer nitro an515, I’ve personally upgraded it to 32Gb ram too.  

Both cables from the router to the Laptop/ps5 are cat5’s.  

Speed on laptop = Average is 300mps download and 32 upload 

speed on Ps5 = average is 90mps upload and 19 download 

I've gone through 100’s of posts and tried absolute everything, when they installed it, I was told ‘leave it a couple of months for it to settle’ and if the speed don’t increase to call them, but there’s isn’t a number anywhere to actually get through to anyone and everything online points to help/things to do, or says the connection in the area is working fine etc 

cje85
Trouble shooter

Cat5 only supports 100Mb. You'll need at least Cat 5E (ideally better) to reach full speed.

Sorry just to elaborate, I thought they were cat5,  the cat cables I’ve got (copy and pasted from the order) are:

Ethernet Cable 2M Cat 8 Cable Zosion High Speed 2000MHZ 40GBPS Internet Network LAN Patch Cords Shielded Durable Gold Plated RJ45 Connector for Gaming PC TV PS4 Modem Router Mac Laptop Xbox Movie

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What speeds do you get when doing as I suggested?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.