cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 4 in modem mode - SuperSlow

gaz_brooks
On our wavelength

Hi All,

After a mini rant on Twitter at the @Virginmedia handle, I got the usual response of "check status in your area"  (area20)and "run a test"... both of which I had done before piling in on the media team and getting a usual muted response from a load of marketing sales folk.

The major speed issues we have been noticing in the house is since our disastrous move from the SuperHub 3 (250Mps package) to the SuperHub 4 (1gb package). The SH3 was sat in modem mode doing a happy tasks of hunting , fetching and grabbing data at around a happy average of around 150Mbps. I then got the sales pitch of a shiny 1gb package with a new SuperHub4. I was sold. I got the Superhub 4, placed it into modem mode and sat it in front of my home router (NetGear R6250) using Cat6 internal cabling and it was getting around 20Mbps average. I used various web based tools to test speeds etc.. i then went full investigation mode... I reverted the Superhub4 to the standalone router and was getting around 950Mbps..(using various sped tools again) I reverted back to my usual setup and placed the SuperHub4 into modem mode to only get the 20Mpbs again. At this point, I am thinking "internal network" so upgraded to a full TP Link Deco s4 mesh.. I got that in , all wired with new Cat6 cabling (just in case).. and to this day I cant get anything above 20Mps on speedtest sites

I am at my wits ends as to what it could be.. ? 

Any clues gladly taken... Any evidence required to support the diagnostic process just ask... Any happy pills I can take to make it go away, let me know...

Thanks for listening one and all...

Gaz

16 REPLIES 16

The laptop set to DHCP goes through the hub in modem mode try again as windows has a fit when the hub is rebooting so you unplug replug the Ethernet cable, you may also have to turn off the hub for 2mins.
---------------------------------------------------------------

gaz_brooks
On our wavelength

Thanks for all the replies so far. 

Still no further forward and its getting massively frustrating now.

The forum / community has been a great method of identifying issues with my VM packages over the past few years, so anyone out there that could offer any more diagnosis information or got'ya's I'd be grateful. I'm feeling rather cheated out of a guaranteed 250Mbps on the Superhub3 , now having moved to a 1GB and a Superhub 4 I have less that ever.

I'm affectively paying more for a derogated service.

**Buyers beware on this upgrade, as I really dont want other to have to go through this stress and over payment for a poor service that defies logic. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gaz_brooks wrote:

<snip>    My laptop was in IPv4 DHCP but could not get an IP from the Hub4 in modem mode. Presumably as in modem mode no DHCP provision is in place to hand out IPs.   Would I expect to have the Hub4 in modem mode give the laptop an IP address  ?

As legacy said, it's important to have the Hub 4 off first.  When in modem mode the Hub will expect to find a DHCP request from the laptop   The DHCP when the Hub is in modem mode comes from the CMTS on the VM infrastructure.  So, power off the Hub, and remove any ethernet cables, then power on your laptop and only connect one cable from the laptop to the Hub.  Then power on the Hub.  You laptop should get a VM WAN IP address, maybe something like 86.x.x.x   Once you have this you can open a browser and test the speed at samknows or wherever. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gaz_brooks
On our wavelength

Adduxi , thanks for the clarity. I wasn't unplugging the superhub4 and connecting my laptop. Now I have done it correctly I got my laptop to pick up a 86.x.x.x address and although the samknows site won't work (doesn't detect the VM device). Using speedtest.net I am astounded to see the speed hit the 850mb d/l and 45 u/l. Which would initially state my home network is the bottleneck. As the superhub4 goes into the deco , it suggests the bottleneck is within there.

I tried the Mac address clone option within the deco. I cloned it to my laptop mac address and was pleasantly surprised at the next speedtest I did. I got 250mb d/l and 15mb u/l. I gave it 5 mins and tried again and it went down to 12mb d/l and 19mb u/l. Just tried again now and I am now getting 12mb d/l and 12mb u/l. So frustrating. 

Hello to all that got involved in the diagnosis and fault finding with my Superhub4 woes.

To put an end to this thread. I appear to have fixed it.

The QoS on the TP Link Mesh central AP was on and set to a limited 20mbps. So having upgraded my VM package and technology along with implementing a TP Link Mesh system, it turned out I have has to set the QoS limit on the central AP to match the WAN speed I would expect.

Its limited to 1000Mbps , so the 1gb limit I am on now is achievable on the mesh and wired devices are now hitting 950Mbps on a SpeedTest.

Thanks to all that took a look in and helped.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Perfect! Thank you for the update on this @gaz_brooks,

I hope you have a lovely bank holiday weekend! 

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide