cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 4 in modem mode - SuperSlow

gaz_brooks
On our wavelength

Hi All,

After a mini rant on Twitter at the @Virginmedia handle, I got the usual response of "check status in your area"  (area20)and "run a test"... both of which I had done before piling in on the media team and getting a usual muted response from a load of marketing sales folk.

The major speed issues we have been noticing in the house is since our disastrous move from the SuperHub 3 (250Mps package) to the SuperHub 4 (1gb package). The SH3 was sat in modem mode doing a happy tasks of hunting , fetching and grabbing data at around a happy average of around 150Mbps. I then got the sales pitch of a shiny 1gb package with a new SuperHub4. I was sold. I got the Superhub 4, placed it into modem mode and sat it in front of my home router (NetGear R6250) using Cat6 internal cabling and it was getting around 20Mbps average. I used various web based tools to test speeds etc.. i then went full investigation mode... I reverted the Superhub4 to the standalone router and was getting around 950Mbps..(using various sped tools again) I reverted back to my usual setup and placed the SuperHub4 into modem mode to only get the 20Mpbs again. At this point, I am thinking "internal network" so upgraded to a full TP Link Deco s4 mesh.. I got that in , all wired with new Cat6 cabling (just in case).. and to this day I cant get anything above 20Mps on speedtest sites

I am at my wits ends as to what it could be.. ? 

Any clues gladly taken... Any evidence required to support the diagnostic process just ask... Any happy pills I can take to make it go away, let me know...

Thanks for listening one and all...

Gaz

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

gaz_brooks
On our wavelength

Adduxi , thanks for the clarity. I wasn't unplugging the superhub4 and connecting my laptop. Now I have done it correctly I got my laptop to pick up a 86.x.x.x address and although the samknows site won't work (doesn't detect the VM device). Using speedtest.net I am astounded to see the speed hit the 850mb d/l and 45 u/l. Which would initially state my home network is the bottleneck. As the superhub4 goes into the deco , it suggests the bottleneck is within there.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hello to all that got involved in the diagnosis and fault finding with my Superhub4 woes.

To put an end to this thread. I appear to have fixed it.

The QoS on the TP Link Mesh central AP was on and set to a limited 20mbps. So having upgraded my VM package and technology along with implementing a TP Link Mesh system, it turned out I have has to set the QoS limit on the central AP to match the WAN speed I would expect.

Its limited to 1000Mbps , so the 1gb limit I am on now is achievable on the mesh and wired devices are now hitting 950Mbps on a SpeedTest.

Thanks to all that took a look in and helped.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Not addressing the problem directly, but have you tried keeping the Hub 4 as router, but turning off the wifi, and running the Deco in access point mode?  

Presumably, the hub connects directly to your primary deco unit by ethernet - there's no other device (like a switch for example) involved in that connection?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Maybe VM are not happy with too many people going to modem mode and have crippled modem mode?

Test modem mode with a PC to the hub no router see what you get, PC can be a pain due to Automatic Private IP Addressing so feel free to unplug replug the Ethernet cable to get internet. should speed be good connect PC to your router login and find the MAC clone option to copy your MAC then connect your router to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. I did try this exact setup and was getting great results over a Cat6 cabled PC into the SuperHub 4 . The Deco speeds were quiet impressive too. But from a feature perspective the Hub4 is very limiting for me and the network config quiet basic. The idea behind going into modem mode was to open up the options that a separate router gives me in terms of VLAN and Filtering, DHCP options etc...  If the speed of a Hub4 is going to be degregated in modem mode, then maybe that the option / feature should come with a disclaimer stating that optimum performance is in router mode?

Tehwolf,  Thanks for the reply.

Your correct, we only have the Deco cabled in (Cat6) into the Hub4. No intermediate.

I did wonder if the Hub4 was negotiating a low speed on the  port with the Deco but not sure how to test that ? But surely both ports would be a 1gig duplex?

legacy1

I'll give that a go later with a Laptop cabled direct into the Hub4 using a IP on the same range as the Hub4 (192.168.100.X)

this is something I most certainly haven't tried on the Hub4, but didn't have to do that on the Hub3 though, but interested to see the result for sure.

@gaz_brooks wrote:

legacy1

I'll give that a go later with a Laptop cabled direct into the Hub4 using a IP on the same range as the Hub4 (192.168.100.X)

No you want the laptop in DHCP so it gets the WAN IP with hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

legacy1,

I am with you now..will double back later with results... 

legacy1

To quote "No you want the laptop in DHCP so it gets the WAN IP with hub in modem mode"

My laptop was in IPv4 DHCP but could not get an IP from the Hub4 in modem mode. Presumably as in modem mode no DHCP provision is in place to hand out IPs.

Would I expect to have the Hub4 in modem mode give the laptop an IP address  ?