Menu
LPJA
Tuning in
Message 1 of 128
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 slow in modem mode

I have had my broadband upgraded to vivid 350 and the router to super hub 3, since then I have had poor speeds (something I am not used to with virgin).

If the SH3 is in router mode I am getting around 350mbps wired connection, as soon as I put it in modem mode and connect my Asus n66u the speeds drop to 120mbps.

Why???

I did not have any issues with my SH2 and this is the only thing that has changed.

I am getting quite frustrated with VM as when I spoke to there support team, they insinuated it was my home network and not there SH3.

I beg to differ! 

0 Kudos
Wolfclaw
Up to speed
Message 2 of 128
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 slow in modem mode

Plug your SH directly to a PC and then do a speed test, N66 can easily handle your connection, but only if NAT Acceleration is turned on, if you have QOS enabled, this normally switches it off.

0 Kudos
LPJA
Tuning in
Message 3 of 128
Flag for a moderator

I just checked NAT Acceleration and it is set to Auto.

Download speed when connected to ASUS and SH3 in modem mode.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 16.59.21.png

Download Speed when connected to SH3 in router mode (I was unable to connect when in modem mode).

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 17.05.17.png

It's a big difference and I am now paying more, for what I thought was a premium service.....

I was on vivid 200 before and got better speeds with the SH2, Kicking myself for not keeping hold of it!

0 Kudos
LPJA
Tuning in
Message 4 of 128
Flag for a moderator

I am so disappointed with VM, surely they must of tested the SH3 in modem mode before releasing them to customers.

How can they let a good service be compromised by a poor product?!?!

Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 128
Flag for a moderator

Hello LPJA, 

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the Community 😄

Sorry that you'r getting poor speeds while using your Asus router. If the correct speeds are reaching your property, then it does suggest the issue lies with the equipment. We can see from your direct hard-wired test that 383Mb is achievable. I don't have much experience with the Asus routers, but I'll leave your thread open for other members to comment. 

Speak soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 128
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried a speed test with a PC connected to the modem mode port when in modem mode?

0 Kudos
LPJA
Tuning in
Message 7 of 128
Flag for a moderator

I did try but my laptop wouldn’t get a connection, I’m assuming I should be using dhcp and it should connect.

I also tried disconnecting the router and addressing my laptop the same as that plugged into the modem, no connection.

Puzzled........
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 128
Flag for a moderator

You may need to power off the hub when in modem mode for 2 mins to allow a MAC change for your laptop other then that unplug and re-plug the cable from your laptop.

0 Kudos
LPJA
Tuning in
Message 9 of 128
Flag for a moderator

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 22.30.20.png

Well I managed to get it to assigned an IP address to my laptop and run the test in modem mode.

The fingers now pointing at my Asus N66u running Merlin 380.69.......................

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 10 of 128
Flag for a moderator

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago and I've concluded that modem mode on the SH3 is broken... (download speed capability is severely limited)

I get full speed (around 390Mbps) when connected to the SH3 in router mode with everything disabled and my own router running in the DMZ.

As soon as I connect in modem mode the speed falls to around 220-230Mbps despite everything else being left as-is.

This is a repeatable process.

My SH3 now runs in router mode full time and, well-known latency issues aside, it's actually been running stably in this configuration.

0 Kudos