cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 slow in modem mode

LPJA
Tuning in

I have had my broadband upgraded to vivid 350 and the router to super hub 3, since then I have had poor speeds (something I am not used to with virgin).

If the SH3 is in router mode I am getting around 350mbps wired connection, as soon as I put it in modem mode and connect my Asus n66u the speeds drop to 120mbps.

Why???

I did not have any issues with my SH2 and this is the only thing that has changed.

I am getting quite frustrated with VM as when I spoke to there support team, they insinuated it was my home network and not there SH3.

I beg to differ! 

127 REPLIES 127

In modem mode all four LAN ports are active - until you plug in your laptop then the other three become inactive (very much like radio buttons). The laptop will get its external IP address and connect to the internet, you don't need to do anything for Windows devices as by default they obtain an IP address automatically and obtain the DNS server address automatically. This is a good time to run a speedtest, BTW, as you've got a wired connection with WiFi disabled.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner - I tried this and it wouldn’t work (Windows 10 laptop, Ethernet connection, wireless disabled)

I might try another device(s) and see if I can make any progress with them instead.

@robe16 are you restarting the Hub (power off and on again) after connecting the laptop to the Hub? It has to be rebooted when a different device is attached to register the MAC address change and request a new IP address.

robe16
On our wavelength

@jem101 wrote:

@robe16 are you restarting the Hub (power off and on again) after connecting the laptop to the Hub? It has to be rebooted when a different device is attached to register the MAC address change and request a new IP address.

@jem101 - I wasn't aware of this, so no, I wasn't rebooting in between switching over from third party router to laptop. I will try this and see if I have any success. Thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@robe16 wrote:

Is there anybody who has successfully connected a Windows, Linux or Mac device to their SH3 whilst it is in modem/bridge mode and been able to established an internet connection? If so, please share your secrets! Smiley Happy

In modem mode power off the hub for 2mins to allow a MAC change pre connected device.

In windows MS makes a mess of things by the DHCP going into Automatic Private IP Addressing and getting stuck so you have to unplug replug the Ethernet cable to force and DHCP Discover from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 which you can see in Wireshark.

https://www.wireshark.org/

---------------------------------------------------------------

robe16
On our wavelength

Many thanks all for your assistance so far, I have finally managed to connect the PC/laptop directly to the SH3 whilst it is in modem mode and run a speed test.

This is the moment where I now have to eat humble pie....

The speed was the full (circa.) 300-350meg that I would expect at this time on a Sunday afternoon. Therefore, I hate to admit it was something 'my side' of the network with my third party router.

Further investigation revealed it is the Media Prioritisation setting - I set this years ago when I was on a slower package and wanted to prioritise my streaming and gaming devices over mobile phones, etc. Appreantly turning this off preventing throttling that seemed to be taking place on all devices not on the list, thereby opening the full bandwidth and speed up for all devices to use.

So, I can now say I have resolved my issue and am happy with my service now!

(and yes, I've asked VM to withdraw my complaint and admitted it was my third party router after all - hopefully they'll be no hard feelings!!)

Highway_UK
On our wavelength

I have a netgear D7000 (ac1900) myself, and after much faffing got it to work with modem passthrough, sadly as other seem to report, it was losing about 100Mbs on ethernet for downloads vs the SH3 direct, oddly upload was near enough the same. Can anyone confirm a D7000 of getting close to passing through 390Mbs on ethernet connection with SH3.

PC Spec: i7-9700k with Corsair H150i pro AIO, MSI Seahawk gtx1080ti with AIO, Asrock Phantom 4 mobo, 32gb DDR4-3000mhz, Seasonic Focus Gold 750w PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, Acer X34 100hz Gsync Ultrawide monitor, 20TB storage, D7000 Nighthawk router, Virgin SH3 on 350m package.

Did you try cloning your laptops mac address to see if you got the same speeds.

Also which servers did you use can you try TNP and see if that is different to VM on speedtest.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Gig 1 (Modem Only Mode)

Tomsta79
Tuning in

Hi there I've read all of these posts . I have a hub 3 .and use in modem mode with a nighthawk ac2350 . And on 350 meg . Nearly get full speeds on router mode . But on modem mode I only get 170 to 180 max . Did you ever find a fix and if so what router would you recommend plz let me no thanks

mpitts
On our wavelength

@Tomsta79 wrote:

Hi there I've read all of these posts . I have a hub 3 .and use in modem mode with a nighthawk ac2350 . And on 350 meg . Nearly get full speeds on router mode . But on modem mode I only get 170 to 180 max . Did you ever find a fix and if so what router would you recommend plz let me no thanks

I use a Draytek 2860 AC router, with my Hub 3 in Modem mode.

With everything set to the 'ideal' I get 380Mbps down / 35 Mbps up. ie full speed.

However I use QoS on the router (to prioritise my work connections over the kids). With this switched on the speeds reduce to 290Mbps down / 35 Mbps up, which is absolutely fine with me.

NB I don't use the Draytek's WiFi - if I switch that on I find the main speeds drop some more. I have a separate Archer C7 which I use solely as a wireless AP. It's located in the centre of the house  and doesn't choke the Draytek's resources.

Purely as a test is it worth you switching the WiFi off on the Nighthawk (with the hub 3 in Modem mode) and seeing if the speeds increase?