Menu
wilko777
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 and Asus RT-AC51U

I've just purchased an Asus RT AC51U cable router to run with my super hub 3. Wifi is fine but my super hub in modem mode is now running at less than 100 mbps lan speeds from 150 mbps before.

Have I just got the wrong cable wireless router or is it something to do with the SH. The RT AC51u has got great reviews from other Virgin subscribers but I read somewhere that the Lan ports are restricted to 100mbps. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
d3m0nedge
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 and Asus RT-AC51U

Just looked at the specifications of the Asus RT-AC51U. And the Ethernet ports on it are only 10/100Mbps unfortunately. Therefore the link speed between the SuperHub 3 and the router will only be 100Mbps at max.

Perhaps consider on upgrading the Asus router? Just ensure that the Ethernet ports on it are rated at 1000Mbps also!

What's your Virgin Media broadband package?
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've got both an Asus RT-N66U and an Asus RT-AC66U running on my home network with the older N66 acting in access point mode sited upstairs slaved off the AC66 which is connected to my Superhub.

Both of those models have gigabit connectivity on all ports and are (the last time I looked) reasonably priced and still fully supported with regular firmware updates although I run the unofficial Merlin firmware on both of them.

If you were to buy any gigabit Asus model to get higher wired speed you would be able to run the AC51 in wireless access point mode as I have done - the inbuilt wizard makes setting this up a trivial task - so you'd still get some benefit from your original purchase by allowing you to get better wireless coverage throughout your home (while making a 100Mbit 4 port switch available for any other devices nearby that don't need gigabit - e.g. blu-ray players, smart TVs, etc.)

Cheers.

wilko777
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. I should have looked into it more thoroughly. However, I am able to return the router so I won't be out of pocket. I wanted a cheap router to see if it wouldl give me better Wifi call quality on my Samsung mobile phone. Wifi call quality is really poor in my home. Looking at Asus models Asus AC1200g+ and AC66u. Both seem to be gigabit routers. let me know what you think

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've had the RT-AC66U for over a year now and it's been solid although I've set it to reboot automatically every day at 3am as a precaution.

It works well with my Samsung S7 and my son's S6 as well as a host of other devices and, for the functionality it provides, I personally think that it was good value for money.

I used to consult a site called smallnetbuilder.com for this sort of info. It does in depth comparisons of many home routers including most of the Asus range and gives a comprehensive set of upload and download figures including tricky wifi locations.

GraYam
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've just got an Asus RT AC68U router to work with Hub 3 in modem mode.

I've read a few posts about no output from Hub ports to connect to TP router and that there is a particular power up sequence to follow to avoid this issue. However my question arises when powering up and configuring Asus router for the first time.

Before connecting Asus router Hub 3, do I change Hub 3 to modem mode, then power off.

Then power up router and Hub in sequence with hopefully Asus set up wizard appearing automatically ?

Of course, I will have already connected laptop to Asus router.

I'm also assuming it's best to leave the ethernet connected devices which will eventually connected to the Asus LAN ports disconnected at this stage or does this matter?

Any other tips would be appreciated. 

Regards GraYam

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If switching to modem-only mode I'd let the SH3 fully power up first before switching on the Asus router as you suggest.

0 Kudos