cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in speed from 1Gig

MckeithyB
On our wavelength

I've recently upgraded to 1Gig. Today at 3.45 speeds went from 960Mbps to 3-4

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2c00c80a55e5101696ee5025fb839bf0a0880391-24-06-2021

I reported it, and apparently there's a problem with the modem (hub4) , although I'm not convinced it was even investigated. Anyhow an engineer is booked for Monday.

All the metrics on the modem status look good apart from the docsis 3.1 QAM1024.

Problem in my area (KT5) or genuine problem with the new modem?

Wired connection only.Modem mode. All the usual problem solving steps undertaken.

Cheers

Keith

50 REPLIES 50

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you are still having issues - starting your own thread is best - it may be a similar one but it wont be identical unless you both have the same "known fault" (unlikely!)

Say what package you have, what Hub is it, do the hub lights change, is it in modem or router mode, is it speeds and/or network disconnections, are these intermittent or continual, what devices are you using and which are on wifi and which on ethernet connections???

You could also include the data from the Hub settings and a link to a BQM as per many threads on here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No, you're right its happened again. Same pattern. 

Speed is a bit better than yesterday - 20Mb (as apposed to 940Mb is this morning) so consequently I didnt notice as I was just in a citrix session at work. But that's quite a drop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a256fcdad81196bc9ed49a2ed7f2b0a982...

For what it's worth, doing a speedtest at fast.com (run by netflix) shows 400Mbps. Not top whack, but not bad either. 

MckeithyB_0-1624636730359.png

Most of the usual ookla speed tests show the same drop. So, I stand by my guess from yesterday that its a peering thing.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/f14aa87b-405b-4f97-8d08-853674cff8f4

I'm also getting healthy 9.0ms RTT to the local gateway (86.12.244.1) with no loss. 

MckeithyB_0-1624637383050.png

Netflix is good (fast.com) - several speedtest.net servers (eg community fibre) , not so good

MckeithyB_1-1624637519098.png

I only have 1Gig for the upload, so I'm not really bothered about the drop in d/l speed. But, it might help someone.

I really don't think its the modem. 

Hi,

I am also suffering from slow speeds the last couple of days.

I'm normally 940+ down and 52+ Up

Gh4z_0-1624661289197.png

But as you see above its so up and down.

Its been as low at 70mpbs today.

On top of that, i'm being overcharged which they promised they have fixed, however, they still continue to overcharge me!

The customer service is just shocking.

Barrerayy
On our wavelength

Same here. Went from gig stable to 1-20mbps.

Hi MckeithyB

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the lower than expected speeds

Just running a fault diagnostic today for you and we need to check the following;

• The coax cables are securely connected to the Hub 4, to any splitters that are in use and to the wall socket. 

Once the cables have been checked, the Hub needs to be rebooted. The Hub can be rebooted by using the button/switch at the back of the Hub or by turning the Hub off from the mains then turning it back on. 

Let me know if this has resolved the issue.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

MckeithyB
On our wavelength

Seriously?

My coax cable becomes loose between 4pm and midnight, everyday?

But also somehow despite being loose is able to still selectively allow Netflix and other content  through OK?

Please could you check the cables are finger tight and let me know.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Not to mention that the loose cables idea would have to apply to so many users with almost identical symptoms 🙄